Imprinting puppies with SAR in mind - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Wink Imprinting puppies with SAR in mind

Are there any breeders or owners of SAR dogs/puppies who imprint pups on a target scent? If so; would you mind briefly sharing your method and why you use the one you do? I've seen a lot of success with a couple different methods but I am trying to learn as much as I can as I am still quite new to this.

When do you begin imprinting? Do you use a clicker with it? Do you offer constant exposure? Why do you do it the specific way you do?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 04:49 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Will be interesting to see what you find. Mine was tested with cadaver at a young age to check for aversion (he tried to eat it). But I did not begin imprinting until I got him as a pup at which point I started immediately.

I have heard of some folks breeding dogs for specific purposes imprinting while on the mothers teat by associating the target odor with feeding but it would be pretty hard to dedicate a litter to a specific odor.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 05:33 PM
Elite Member

Very interesting thought... Seeming unless you are imprinting on cadaver the dog is naturally being imprinted on humans as he is handled and loved... I've heard that dogs that love to roll in smelly stuff (like the stinkiest ever) should be good at HRD... If that's so, my girl (and boy) should end up being phenomenal, lol! Keep us posted on your progress.. I'm curious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 06:10 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Several different ways to imprint all of which seem to work. I did it with scented throws. In this case PVC tubes drilled with holes and training material (cadaver) placed inside. By 11 weeks (video) he was retrieving by using his nose to find the source. We then transitioned to hides without throws.

This method has the focus as the hunting behavior and not worrying about the trained final response until the dog has established the hunt for source.

Beau passed his first NAPWDA HRD certification at 15 months, and has recertified twice since then. He will be 4 in July. He has never trusted his eyes.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 04-15-2015 at 06:12 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Several different ways to imprint all of which seem to work. I did it with scented throws. In this case PVC tubes drilled with holes and training material (cadaver) placed inside. By 11 weeks (video) he was retrieving by using his nose to find the source. We then transitioned to hides without throws.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUkS9l8ClZ8

This method has the focus as the hunting behavior and not worrying about the trained final response until the dog has established the hunt for source.

Beau passed his first NAPWDA HRD certification at 15 months, and has recertified twice since then. He will be 4 in July. He has never trusted his eyes.
So awesome.

I'm a total newbie with a 12wk GSD and seeing things like this is really inspiring
They're just so smart!!

Cheers!

L.C.
Knowledge is power.

IG: @teslatheadventuredog
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 12:04 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

These folks imprint differently and have a successful business for military and police dogs. Not sure of target odor used.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone! The videos are great, I am going to continue my research and I will keep you posted, of course

Jocoyn, how did you get Beau certified as a NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog? How did you do his training and then where did you go to have him tested? Are you in LE yourself?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 01:36 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

We get sponsored by a local NAPWDA trainer and are "associate" members. I train on a SAR team and we also train frequently with the police department who has sponsored us. Once a year we bring in a Master Trainer to certify us. We can't pay them but pay for expenses.

Are you going to do cadaver or live find and have you joined a team? I will tell you that SC and Eastern NC are NOW flooded with cadaver dogs (not sure why it has become so popular), and I would be ON a team AND doing live find air scent if I were starting a new dog.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime

Last edited by NancyJ; 04-17-2015 at 01:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page