Tracking /trailing dogs: working negatives - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Figured I should a couple of pix of them as they are maturing nicely
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150509_112738_1439861499069.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	312026  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Areli during helicopter training loading and unloading hot. She loved it.. Jumped in bed with was even ready (she wanted a window seat, lol)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDS Misty and Areli pose with helo_1439861851923.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	312034   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDS Misty and Areili approach helo_1439861871726.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	312042   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDS Misty and Arieli_1439861884581.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	312050  
post #43 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 09:51 PM
Elite Member

Cool photos and congrats on the hot load!

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 10:38 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Sounds like you guys are having a great time!

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #45 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks guys.. We are having a great time... Prepping for our testing in Oct.. Doing double blind, mile plus long lightly aged (20 minutes to 3 or so hrs) to medium aged (6-12hrs), with water crossings and or urban suburban tails... Can't wait until it is cooler though, lol... Ugh!
post #46 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

The fires here are HORRIFIC and the smoke and ash in the air males it extremely hard to breathe let alone see... But training needs to continue... So we have done some training go in the Colville National Forest, usually a mile plus long with a half hour aging (don't want to leave my subject alone for too long with the fires and bad air), several water crossings etc.. Yesterday though, we (are) at the fair so an urban search was in order...

Tons of contamination due to animals, people, cars and the horrid smoke.. Helicopters in the air constantly, etc... Did my girl care? Nope (outside of probably wanting to ride the helicopter, lol).. She hunkered down and moved purposely and methodically through the gates, parking lot, up the streets, down the street around Les Schwab to the backside of their building and to her subject... Yay Areli!

Thank you to all firefighters!!! Especially those helping our state in dire need.. Your hard work and risk is super appreciated!
post #47 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Extremely smokey here still, but a mile long blind close to 2hr aged track. SSW wind at 9mph with 15mph gusts. 20% humidity, dew point at 37f...

I harnessed/scented her and cast her and let her find the track. She found odor and moved steadily down a path next to the river and about 30ft from a fire road. She selected her course with confidence and when she ran out of odor and wanted to move forward we had a barbed wire fence to battle... She faired better then I, lol (I tend to wear a 8-10lb pack for conditioning purposes and water which doesn't like barbed wire fences). We moved up to the road and jogged on the main road for awhile, she veered to the west (left) and sniffed up the hill, she thought about going up bit opted to continue along the fire road... She paused and checked a couple of paths that led to the riverboat never committed.. A quarter mile further and she veered hard down a path and through some trees, and towards the river.. I'm snagged again by low branches (yay for trailing... Think area search people are smarter, lol) when I hear the praise coming from my subject, Areli dutifully sitting for her reward...

Turns out, subject had taken the fire road a good distance (about 30ft from the river, lower, shaded and into the wind) before going West (left) up to 50ft from the road. A barbed wire fence prevented further climbing and the fence dropped closer to the road at different points. She then came down, crossed the fire road and down towards the river where she found her spot.. All in all, while not being dead on her tracks, for the conditions and weather I was well pleased. I think if my girl had taken the actual track (not the blown scent pooled track) she would have found the track that led up the hill. I was visually able to see the fence, she gave indication that odor was there, so I'm confident if someone had been lost we would have found them..yay Areli!
post #48 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Worked an 8hr old aged urban trail yesterday... This one wasn't blind, but I was extra careful to allow her to follow the scent anywhere she needed to and not lead her in a direction... Smoke was still horrid (Lord we need rain!), 87f, 9mph saw, 29f dew point, 30%humidity... Areli located her track start after being cast and about 2 minutes worth of confirming the direction, she was off at a jog.. Hugged the buildings and made her first turn beautifully, jogged up the sidewalk past the next intersection and turn... I sooooo wanted to stop and cast her, but I applied pressure and then a little more, she learned into the harness so I was confident she was in odor... At the corner she stopped and.... Pooped... Nice.. Had a group of people watching her progress and smile only to have one of those jaw drop moments... My fault, I hadn't let her out to relieve herself before the track.. Thankfully I had a baggie and scooped it up and jogged to the trash can with said baggie (ewww)

One block up from the actual track she turned left (north) and crossed the street, we progressed to an alley way where she turned left and dropped down to the street of the actual track (yay!! Was very glad I let her work it out as it confirmed she was in odor and working the scent on her own... Without my assistance - which is usually a hindrance, lol). We continued down the street and made a right (east) and up to the next Street. Crossed the intersection and left (north) over to the hospital, she again hugged the buildings and driveways turned right (east) and up to the gravel road behind the school. Here we jogged for a bit (north) before she wanted to investigate the 1/2acre lot of weeds and trees. As much as I didn't want to let her, I did.. She worked in about 15ft and gave clear negatives, but obvious odor was there, she worked around the area for about 2 minutes. When I applied a little line pressure in the direction of the road she turned and willingly moved out and reaquired the track... As we neared the front of the school she pulled to the right (east) and wanted to investigate.. Once again I allowed her the opportunity. She came to the first building and veered back to the open grass. A kid that was about the size of my subject was sitting 20yrds away and she intently starred at him... It took a couple of 'focus' for her to let go of the idea that this kid despite not smelling like her subject wasn't her subject.. She did let it go and jogged back to the gravel road onto the asphalt across the street and (east) up to the next road where she went left (North) and wanted to check out some odors behind an open pasture behind a building... Clear negative once she ran out of odor... She was getting hot but I knew we were getting close to the creek and she opted for the steady jog.. Back to the road and a left (west) down a long road and left again (south) own to her subject.. Yay!

She encountered dogs, bikes, people, cars, cows (in pasture) and it was a solid mile long.. She got to play in the creek and share a vanilla ice cream with Akivah (who kept my subject safe during her wait)...
post #49 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

35-40mph winds (up to 60mph gusts), smoke, haze and a few teasing drops of rain was what greeted us today for our track... Team training... I got lost getting there (oops) so my hour long aged track would have been a half hour later... But the winds had other plans. My subject was busy working area search problem and the winds blowing in no particular sustained direction was reeking havoc on the poor dogs nose and the smoke was making her GPS do some wonky things... So my now hour and a half track became a 3hr aged track... Hmm, a challenge..

We came to the PLS and I harnessed, and cast Areli who came to the glove scent article. She scented it and cast herself again.. She started down a lane at a jog only to stop 50ft in, reversed and chose another track an atv worn path.. We travelled that for about 100ft when my navigator said we were off track (also had 5 people from ESAR following and one other team member). Areli is pulling to go down hill but I restrain her and cast her around the area... She wants to go downhill... But I know she is air scenting, the wind is blowing everywhere... She tries several directions going about 15ft in before throwing clear negatives... My navigator suggests restarting and I agree (she gives some good advice reminding that this isn't a test but training).. I take her back, recast and she takes the earlier path she started but stopped on and continues (it is the correct track).. This track weaves everywhere and the wind has her following scent off track for awhile strong in the scent only to shoot out a negative and go another way... My navigator did a great job in saying little but giving well timed walks trying to see if direction of travel is akin to the GPS... Areli finds the track that has dipped into a gully, she hits it hard and strong (we lose our entrouge) the second article is found and she is confident.. I visually see our subject but Areli continues all the way to the atv road... Stops and reverses into the brush and back 175ft to our subject...

I comment to the subject (a wonderful team member) about how horrible the winds are and she comments on how bad the smoke is messing with the GPS.. She couldn't find her way back to the tree she had marked and had to go down the atv road!!!! GOOD GIRL ARELI!

So, my girl had to work the aged track because she was made to, but she wanted to take the freshest track (as she should) to the subject... Whew! What a day!
post #50 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I again encourage anyone who does tracking or trailing (very it competition or 'real world') to post their practices or learned happenings etc on this thread.. I post so others may (or may not) learn or be encouraged with the trials and triumphs that come with tracking /trailing.. I need to read about others too!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page