Tracking /trailing dogs: working negatives - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Am I really the only person doing tracking /trailing or works negatives?? Huh...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 05:57 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

No... A lot of folks don't post a lot about their training but are still doing it

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #33 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Probably, but I can't learn from anyone if they don't respond, lol! I was hoping people would be willing to share some of their experiences so I and others can learn too...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 06:09 PM
Elite Member

Am interested to read, following

Emily
Skadi, AKA Lady Wolfington, GSD 4.6.12
Grim, AKA Bones , GSD 7.7.13
post #35 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 09:45 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I've done enough trailing to be able to mess someone else up. I know the basics but have done nothing but HRD for the past 7 years. But for any discipline I would want to physically be there to watch the dog and the handler to really give any advice.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 04-14-2015 at 09:49 PM.
post #36 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Lol! Well any experience can be a learning one! Not to mention the negative work done doing HRD... True, the thread title has to do with trailing, however working negatives is a HRD and area search dogs job as well.. Reading a dog and learning - be it trailing or otherwise is a never ending journey and I KNOW I could learn from your experience
post #37 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 12:07 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

About all I would say is (1) make sure you are working plenty of unknowns flanked by someone who understand scent movement and the problem set up and (2) as you increase negative time / problem size / trail length etc. mix it up so the dog never knows when to expect a quick find vs hard work....keeps up motivation

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #38 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thank you! Excellent advice! Especially as my track layers aren't really good at laying tracks I specifically request (following directions)... Having experienced eyes aid in catching my mistakes or helping me understand what may be happening will help keep me and my pups on track
post #39 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Went to a new area today and had my mom hide.... Unfortunately, she isn't the best at following directions (sigh) and so how close to the track Areli followed is unknown.. Both pups found her..

Akivah - Light breeze and about 50F Akivah gets so amped that getting him going (he wants to jump on me in anticipation) takes a few seconds... He took off and ranged a bit as expected... he then wanted to critter in two spots (really need to talk to my team and find out if it is lack of maturity/drive or just a plateau and how to move past this; open to suggestions from those with experience here too ) but with a quick 'get to work!' comlied and began ranging again. I did not know where my subject was, but the wind was to our face so I knew he had ample opportunity to catch the scent which he did... He bounded in to her (took about 7 minutes of searching about a 1/5 of a mile... It was a 10 minute walk out for my mom) and gave a good refind alert BUT, then he dinked around about taking me back to her!!! I really need to find out what is up with him... He had an enormous amount of drive just a few weeks ago so I don't know if he is at a plateau or what... team training this Saturday and a small group training tomorrow so I will ask and get help...

I had my mom walk another few minutes from her spot as I took Akivah back and got Areli ready... Areli, once released from her tie out, immediately raced to the track and started without me!!!!!! LOL! I had to call her back.. so much for working negatives haha...I harnessed her and tried to cast her the opposite direction several feet away from the track but she already had selected the track and was more than ready to get going.. She took off... Now, I had requested my subject (mom) to kick in hotspots and markers for up to 5 turns - none of which happened... I also asked her to drop a clue/scent article, which thankfully she did, although I requested it to be about 10-20paces after a turn and marker... Anyhow, Areli had several areas where she started one direction and doubled back - not negatives in the sense that she was off track, but a track that ran out of scent (later found out my mom started on a course then opted out of it- backtracked in a sense) - I cast Areli in a circle to see if she could find the track since there were no markers!! grr... She did go down one track that I was pretty sure was all negative - and I was correct... so I am reading her negatives better, yay! I doubled her back up that leg of the negative track and cast her circles until she picked up the correct path, my mom had marked one corner with neat little arrow which Areli in her speed past by about 5ft, but as is expected in ttd style of tracking/trailing, she neatly doubled back and continued on, about5ft past this turn a scent article was found and promptly picked up and proudly carried by Areli for about 15ft (a sock - yuck). I praised her and she was obviously quite pleased with herself (amazing how a clue/scent article perked her up - like a little assurance she was on the correct path), a few minutes later she passed my mom by about 5ft and whipped around with a jolly smile and wagging tail.. she did sit for alert and received her much due praise and treats... Mom was kindly but dogmatically asked to PLEASE remember to mark the turns... Putting word out to my church, and the school that I need subjects, lol!!!! GOOD PUPPIES!!!
post #40 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Haven't posted in a few months but have been steadily working both pups. Akivah is about 16mos old and Areli is almost 15mos (14 mos and 2 wks or so). Both have started HRD. Akivah desperately needs to mature as he is such a fun loving boy he often prolongs an area search (not good).. So he will do HRD which he seems really good at and see if he matures further..

My focus is Areli though and wow, she is freaking AWESOME! She has been trailing /tracking since mid March and has done up to mile long urban, all sorts of suburban, distances of 2 mile + wilderness, up to 12hr aged problems, worked in the 104°f heat, worked across water (didn't have to swim or cross further than 30ft), been on a helicopter (loved it) been on a boat 2x and loved it (the most recent she even alerted (her first water alert) on a bubbly HRD), and is such a determined pup on the scent she astounds me sometimes.... Thankfully, my failings haven't hindered her too much, I hope, lol...

I will try to keep posting as we are going to an ASCT conference in Oct and will potentially test for level I, II and perhaps III in trailing /tracking (there are 5 levels). Areli will be certified via NSDA and Shekinah K9 after I finish the academy in the fall (who says dogs aren't smarter then humans? She will be certified before me, lol!) and will test sometime thereafter. We are working mile long lightly aged (30 minutes to an hour or so usually as it is hard to get subjects willing to devote a whole day, lol), and once or twice a month a 12hr aged mile or so long track. We throw in some urban for distractions and different scents surroundings.

Today was a mile+ wilderness with several water crossings a ton of hills and the contamination that comes from a CMO ride yesterday (tons of horses and other dogs, people and atv's traipsed all over the track). She had an article to find and ended up finding the subjects glasses she dropped as well (good girl Areli th eyes were prescription and half buried in fine dirt). She rocked it, even when the girls (had her sister hide with for protection out in them bad woods, ya know) crossed the river and got caught in a Glenn of low hanging branches (ugh and ouch... Sucked going through that, got snagged repeatedly) thinking a trail would magically appear.. Polluted the area with their scent, so Areli and I worked circles in that wonderful spot (ouch, ugh, grrr) for 20 minutes (most of that was me trying to untangle or not get an eye poked out while trying to keep Areli from pulling me through the branches. She got tired of 'wait' waaiitt' 'WAIT!' as I ducked, dived and scurried through the tangled mess).

She knew they were on that side of the road and while we worked back up to a main path (which they took), helicopters flew overhead to try and gather water to put out the many MANY fires we have going (the air was brown and hard to breathe - not the best choice for working a problem but I take my opportunity when I get them as subjects are few and far between). I opted to take the articles back to the car as the glasses were in my back pocket and we were offroading it alot and I didn't want them broken. We took the same path (uphill alot, Yay, not) and went a bit further the wind was to our back, then our side, then our front, so lots of fun. She started several different paths but about 50ft in she would look at me like, "sorry, that's all the scent offered" and we would double back and continue on heading the correct direction. As we hit a lower portion and an open area she hit a huge scent plume and we hit the fire road again for about 10ft,dropped back down (figured it was time to get tangled again), crossed a foot depth of water and about 30ft across and up on a rise we found our subject.. Yay!

I had the girls take the GPS, but they didn't mark the coordinates (really?) so the post track review was all via memory. Thankfully they are getting more observant. Areli was about 95%on until I pulled her off to deposit articles at car. She then went to about 80% as we skirted a couple different trails (about 50ft in) they didn't take. But I was proud as this was a double blind track and I had to have complete faith in my dog...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page