Tracking /trailing dogs: working negatives - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 09:53 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

We work all our Aricent dogs scent specific...

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Ohhh, that's cool... Shows you how different locations use different techniques... So if only scent specific (please forgive my ignorance on this), you would always need a scent article? Or are your dogs cross trained to locate any human and if a scent article is available, hone in on that scent? Basically a dual purpose trail/area dog?
post #13 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 10:13 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Those dogs always use a scent article. It does appear to be more of a regional thing.... Theoretically they could work without a scent article just like a trailing dog can do a missing man line up and work without one but it is not something we have encountered a need to do nor do we train for that so if you don't train for it you don't do it. We have access to nonspecific dogs from other teams that we can use on mutual aid

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

That's cool Really is interesting to see the difference location necessity brings to the training. What type of call outs do you get mostly (if you don't mind my asking)? Wilderness or urban? Lost hiker or lost kid/dementia patients? Just curious as to geographical trends in missing people ; if there is a difference
post #15 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 06:51 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

More lost kid or dementia....contaminated search areas...homes in area...people in vicinity...fewer true wilderness calls with gps and cellular technologies

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #16 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Same in our area... Makes a scent discriminate dog highly valuable (and oh so much fun, lol)... On a side note... I was reading through a thread about SAR training, and you had mentioned the loss of your mother. I know it has been several months since that time, and I don't mean to resurrect any pain, but I did want to express my thoughts and prayers are for you and your family.
post #17 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 01:44 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Thank you. We were and are at peace with her passing. We know it was a relief to her to be freed from her failing body and we feel blessed that we were able to keep her home with us and well cared for and loved for the 7 years after her stroke.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #18 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Worked the pups at the ski resort today. Most of the snow was gone. I had Akivah work first (he does scent specific area search) and changed things about a bit. While my subject was hiding I walked the pups in the opposite direction and let them explore and tried to calm them down as soon as they know they are going to 'find', they go ballistic.

I tied Areli outside of the car (my seat belt won't last if I have another shark attack from a pup) and as soon as I pulled the scent article out all appearance of calm was shattered, lol. Akivah practically climbed my arm to get to it and was off.. He ranged really well and worked negative space on his own (the subject was hiding up a logging rode and a sharp 120° angle to the right and up a steep hill behind a tree, mountains all around (ski resort). The scent pooled in a Grove of trees and he ranged quite a bit and seemed perplexed. Once I knew he had covered the area well I sent him the opposite direction (towards the subject, although I didn't know where she was hiding) and he ranged beautifully covering back behind me and back up, he bypassed her by about 30ft,but the wind was to my back and I know he was on the scent. He doubled back and elatedly found her. He forgot to remind alert, so I called him and he alerted and then returned for his reward. Good boy Akivah!

Areli was going bananas at the car and thankfully behaved herself and no claw marks were found (whew!). My subject walked back with me and then descended the main road down and to an open field of about 10acres with trees surrounding the whole perimeter. Due to shoes worn, she didn't want to traverse the acreage (which I asked she do), but walked a good length of the tree line and hid. I once again walked the dogs opposite and Areli tried to hit the old trail Akivah had just done. I called her off (3x) and she finally let go of it.... For the moment.

After about 10 minutes, I tied Akivah (who now is having a fit) and Areli is ready to hit the trail again. I gave her the scent article and sent her the opposite direction in order to work some negative space and get my reading of her down well (although she is pretty darn obvious when she is on the scent). Prior, the wind was blowing upwind of the victim (which I wanted as I was hoping to see how she reacted to a challenge), however, while working negative scent area the wind shifted and she caught her scent about 40ft from where the trail would have picked up, so down the hill we went, hit the road and she cast herself side to side until she picked up the trail... After that, 90 miles an hour (have got to get her harness,!) over logs, around trees, tail wagging and butt hopping and we found her subject. I had her sit, as this will probably be her alert from now on... She got her reward and I may have found (cross fingers) a reward other than just food (and new smells, sometimes I think she is a bloodhound in a Shepherd coat) that really makes her feel special : her 'baby' a stuffed bear. GOOD GIRL ARELI!

Both pups were happy... Oh... And the old trail that the subject took earlier, well on the walk back, as soon as Areli was close, she started off on it, again, not nose down like she is on the hunt, but kind of like she wants to see what Akivah got to do and prove that she could have done it too... This is becoming a ritual for her... Jealousy? Who knows...
post #19 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Funny thing : took the pups for a walk today in a place I've had subjects hide (once, but it was a favorite person). As we near the places she hid the pups are looking in and around the place, bouncing around the tree like "BOO" but no one was there. Haha they seemed so sad that it was 'just' a walk... Good lord I've created search monsters...
post #20 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Today we worked at the airport:

I had my subject walk a previously unused side so there would be not tainting of old trails (both pups have worked over old trails before, but I wanted to work her in negative space and allow her to find the trail...wanted to...). I did know her final placing but not the path she would take (outside of the side of forest). I aged the trail for 10 minutes... The trail ended up being over 3/10ths of a mile, although that was not on purpose.. just how she walked it

I tied Akivah outside of car and gave Areli the scent article.. I worked her away from where the trailhead was and over old trailheads to see what she would do.. I did restrict her going any further then a 45ft cast either direction. She quickly picked up the fresh trail and away we went... The trail began on asphalt and dived into downed brush, trees and deadfall (what fun..ugh). Areli was thoroughly hot on the trail when a black dog that looked awfully familiar darted onto the path.. AKIVAH!!!! The turkey busted his rope and decided he would 'help out' I don't think I was the most Christian (sorry Lord!) when I saw him bolt through.. I snagged him and trying to maintain my cool (which was not easy) walked him back to the car...practically dragging Areli who started to cast herself in front of me in thinking she had the wrong trail.. I threw him in the car (well not really, he weighs 82lbs) and tried to refocus myself. Areli was a bit doubtful at first when I recast her, she started the trailhead a bit early and cast herself through the underbrush for a bit, air scented a bit more, then BAM hit the scent trail again and once again we were off at 90mph (God is so good, I swear I managed to miss (most) of the downed logs and broken trees with my shins)... She worked back onto the asphalt (whichI thought might be air scenting although her nose was on the ground, but later found out after talking to the subject that she did walk back onto the asphalt then back into the woods, then across the asphalt to the opposite side - just like Areli did,yay!), back through the brush, back onto the asphalt to cross it to the other side, then right to the picnic table behind a group of trees to the subject.. YAY ARELI!!!

Akivah was let out of the car a bit shagrined for being so naughty earlier... Didn't take long to amp him up and lauch him.. Subject had moved 4 minute walk from her previous location; unknown to me where she was... Akivah quickly ranged air scenting, he went deep into the forest, back out, onto the asphalt, ranged midway through the forest, back onto the asphalt, caught the new scent of the new location and set off to find her on the new side (good boy Akivah). He found her quickly, and started to come to me for a refind alert, however, I did still have to call him to make sure he committed to it. He gave his alert (minus the bark, oops) and 'found her' again.... GOOD PUPPIES!!!!! I'm tired...lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page