What lines to look for in a prospective SAR pup? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

What lines to look for in a prospective SAR pup?

I'm slowly trying to learn more and more about SAR in my quest for the perfect dog, and was wondering if there are particular dogs that you guys like to see in the pedigrees of prospective SAR pups? Also, who would your go to breeder for such a dog be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 06:19 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

There are any number of breeders I would consider. Look for a dog with excellent health, hunt drives, and a good temperament. One who either is neutral to people or enjoys being around them. i will leave the pedigrees to others because many are good. By and larger I see more working line dogs doing search and rescue than showlines but have seen some nice showlines doing the work. I would say NO SUPER SIZED dogs. even if they can do the work, they have to be able to ride in cramped quarters such as on your lap on a 4wd thing such as a gator, be carried if needed, etc.

There is no perfect dog. Are you actove on a SAR team? That is THE best way to learn what to look for and to meet people who will help you find a really good dog.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 08:52 AM
Master Member

From what I have seen so far, SAR dogs come from all kinds of backgrounds pedigree-wise. I agree more working than show. One of our trailing labs was from dual titled lines and she was amazing (owner retired from SAR recently). The thing they all seem to have in common is high hunt drive, focus, and stable nerves. With GSDs it is common to see lots of working titles in the pedigree. Are you interested in joining SAR?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 11:33 AM
Elite Member

I agree with everything that has been said. I do think there is a range of possibilities out there with respect to dogs. I would start talking to the actual SAR members with dogs you like and then talk with several breeders and try to see some of their working dogs. But ya know. I'm starting to wonder about really thinking about the human side of it. The human needs to be very dedicated not just to dog training, attending training but also consistency, willingness to learn, thick skin when you get conflicting direction, a willingness to stay in shape and for god sake keep your dog in shape. The human side I think is often overlooked or focusing on the dog is a nice distraction from our own responsibilities to the team.

Just 2 cents worth.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

I'm not on a team yet, but I have a great one locally and hope to get out with them some time in February. I have been in touch with them, and it turns out some of their active dogs are from the kennels I had already put on my short list, so I know I am at least on the right track. I was just wondering whether their were common "famous" dogs that seem to show up frequently in SAR pedigrees? I know people have specific dogs they love to see in a pedigree when selecting a dog for schutzhund.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 12:08 PM
Crowned Member

I would talk to true active SAR teams; one with documented training, real certifications and actual call outs.

There are a lot of local groups that get together for basic training for SAR, but are not active and called out.

Find out where they are looking for dogs. Nancy pointed out some great things to look at.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page