Finding SAR group - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Finding SAR group

Hi!
I'm trying to get hooked up with an SAR group in eastern Washington state or Post Falls/Couer D'alene area; I dont have a working puppy yet but am looking into what I need to do to get certified, training requirements etc. Pup will hopefully be an agility prospect and comes from some good tracking noses; I have an intermittent schedule that allows me to spend a ton of time training for a couple weeks at a time and then more limited for the next couple weeks. (Rinse, repeat!) Current dog gets out weekly for formal training and we do stuff around the house as well as being avid hikers and campers. If any of you can get me in contact with a local group or can direct me to books or videos I would appreciate the help! I believe I need my EMT-B/Wilderness first aid cert but beyond that not sure what I can do while I am waiting for puppy.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 06:23 PM
Elite Member

Hey! I'm in Chewelah, Eastern WA (about 50 miles north of Spokane).. I haven't been able to start with Intermountain Search and Rescue (k-9, I had several years ago with the mounted unit trained with them) yet, as family situations have recently occurred (and now my pup is fighting pano argh!) but I will as soon as her bout is over. The breeder I got my girl from breeds for SAR... I. E., temperament, soundness, drive for scent. Areli' mom is kind of a legend in Idaho and her dad is certified cadaver... If you are interested I can give you info... The scent I work I've been doing at home with her have shown she is a chip off the ol' block and I am excited!! Anyhow, welcome!

Pix of Areli...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141108_130228_1421277693046.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	267426   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141228_082529_1421277729589.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	267434   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141214_132627_1421277756360.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	267442  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Ooh pretty girl! I will lyk if my breeder doesn't work out, there are pups on the ground now and I'm just waiting to see if the right puppy for my family is in the mix.
Hmm I contacted INSAR who sent me to SCDT who won't return my emails. :/ Do you know what requirements are for your group with regards to monthly attendance, certifications, etc.? I have a lot to learn just about the search part; grids and wind and the way scent is detected. Would love to go get "lost in the woods" for other dogs to find and get a feel for how everything works, but having trouble connecting. I would love to be nationally certified in urban and wilderness situations but there is a lot to learn!! And, the dog has to be the right fit! The working line I am interested in has several dogs known for passing on good tracking noses as well as HRD and SAR certs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 06:59 PM
Elite Member

Excellent I hope your pup is in this litter If not, then I believe March is when the next litter will whelp... Anyhow, I will contact my breeder who actively works her dogs in SAR through Intermountain... Not sure why you were sent elsewhere.. Hmm. Well I well get some info and get back to ya . By the way, my name is Misty.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Ugh I can't figure out how to message you!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 07:53 PM
Elite Member

Uh, not sure, I do it all off my phone. However, I believe if you look at the upper right corner where your user name is, there is a control panel and you can pm me from there...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 08:44 PM
Master Member

Hi, I'm also from Eastern Washington and planning on training up in the Spokane area with my pup this year occasionally. I'm with Walla Walla County SAR. Agreed Intermountain Search Dogs are the people to get in touch with.

In our county, you need become certified ground team before you can join the K-9 unit. You also learn a lot, make connections, and get field experience this way. It's better to learn the basics of SAR before adding a dog.

INSAR is an extension of the Spokane County Sheriff's Dept and they might also be a good resource for you. There are some online courses with FEMA you have to take and that would give you something to do while you are trying to get everything arranged. Drop me a line any time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 08:49 PM
Elite Member

Kaimeju, are you moving this way? Long drive from Walla Walla, although I'd love to meet you
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 08:53 PM
Master Member

Hineni, our team is still small and does not have all disciplines yet, so I am reaching out to handlers on other teams for advice and to observe. I want to train in air scent, which we don't currently have. It's a long drive but I've done it for dog shows before.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 09:06 PM
Elite Member

Awesome! Hope to see you there some time I was hoping to start this month, but my girl is battling a bout of pano, so she is laid up for a bit... Probably a good thing, as this has been a weird month for my family, lol.. Otherwise I would have gone and been a helper or observed..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page