SAR Advice - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

SAR Advice

I am looking for help and advice regarding joining a SAR group in my local area (South MS). I have a 2 Y/O GSD male that has thus far shown me he has what it takes. I have no experience whatsoever, but raised & trained field trial Labradors for over 15 years. I read, asked tons of questions, and winged it a lot back then, and am using similar methodology now, however SAR is a far more serious endeavor and want to do the best job possible with my dog. Jagger has excellent drive and his scent work is really impressive......to me. He is finding day old blind triples hidden underground, in trees, you name it..in minutes, but I have gone about as far as I can without help. I can't seem to find anyone or group locally and would greatly appreciate any and all help with where to go, who's book and methods to study, how to find groups to join etc., as I am very serious about taking both of us as far as we can go in SAR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 12:55 AM
Crowned Member

Look up SAR in your state or a nearby state and contact them. They would know if there is a group working privately near you that you could connect with.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 06:07 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Have you checked out folks in this group? Just found on a google search looks like a network of SAR teams and individuals in the state. What is he finding? "Triples?"

Home Page

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

jocoyn, thanks.....had looked at them, but was hoping for closer. I will though as they are likely the best place to start with people in the know and take it from there. Triples is a blind retrieve term from my Lab field trials days.....all I knew to call what we were doing. Started with tennis balls, then went to cloth patches (now up to 3) that have been rubbed on family members or visiting friends planted the night before or early the next morning. 12-24 hrs later I would introduce him to a corresponding piece of cloth and release him....seek seek seek. The job & expectations are obvious to him. He will go in the direction sent and immediately begin doing nose work. He is not always 3 for 3 with the right match, but he always gets all 3 regardless of how well hidden or buried, but this is about the extent of my ability to improvise in place of actual education and knowledge. I don't want to go any further in case I am headed down a " wrong road" so to speak. Rather take a break, tune up the obedience, and get connected with a SAR group so as to limit bad habits learned by Jagger, and poor direction on my part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page