How's training going? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 174 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 07:40 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchKarin View Post
Wish us luck, having had to cancel our last scheduled attempt, we are set to get our helicopter hot load sign off this Sunday! Woop!
Helo training is so much fun!! We did one in May. Hot loaded, flew and hoisted own, did a quick search, and hoisted back up and then landed. Loved it!!

Here is me and my Mal getting ready to hoist down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 174 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 01:07 AM
Elite Member

Very very cool DinoBlue! And a mal to boot. Love the photo. What exactly is a "hoist"? I'll be loading, flying, dropping off and doing a search I think.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
post #33 of 174 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 06:01 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Very very cool DinoBlue! And a mal to boot. Love the photo. What exactly is a "hoist"? I'll be loading, flying, dropping off and doing a search I think.
Hoist - we were lowered down from the helicopter in a wire from a winch. Everyone was wearing hoist harnesses and we were clipped in with safety lines in the helicopter and then switched to the winch clip as we approached the door before we were lowered down to the ground. Our training hoist was only about 15 feet or so, but on a real deployment it will usually be a lot higher. I will add that this training was not for my wilderness team but for my USAR team so the requirements are a bit different
(I have a GSD for wilderness/HR and a Malinois for USAR)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 174 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
I finished my navigation courses and went on a backpack trip and was the navigation queen. I LOVE maps, compasses and GPS units.
I need to learn to be like that, Lol. That was actually where I struggled most. And to think.. I'm int military and have taken a number of navigation courses.. I guess when I don't use it enough to really hold on to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoBlue View Post
Helo training is so much fun!! We did one in May. Hot loaded, flew and hoisted own, did a quick search, and hoisted back up and then landed. Loved it!!

Here is me and my Mal getting ready to hoist down.
That looks awesome! Something I would definitely like to try one day!!

Quote:
Hoist - we were lowered down from the helicopter in a wire from a winch. Everyone was wearing hoist harnesses and we were clipped in with safety lines in the helicopter and then switched to the winch clip as we approached the door before we were lowered down to the ground. Our training hoist was only about 15 feet or so, but on a real deployment it will usually be a lot higher. I will add that this training was not for my wilderness team but for my USAR team so the requirements are a bit different
(I have a GSD for wilderness/HR and a Malinois for USAR)
Can you explain a little bit of the difference?

BTW I am living vicariously through you guys right now. Returning to SAR doesn't seem to be in my near future unfortunately.

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
post #35 of 174 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 10:04 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Pretty exciting. Any helo training we have had is just helicopter safety and not for transport. Our big excitement is riding in the back of a gator. Don't get me wrong, I have said a couple of prayers in the back of one of those things....same thing for ropes.....we don't do any high angle stuff..........

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #36 of 174 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 11:48 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
I need to learn to be like that, Lol. That was actually where I struggled most. And to think.. I'm int military and have taken a number of navigation courses.. I guess when I don't use it enough to really hold on to it.

That looks awesome! Something I would definitely like to try one day!!

Can you explain a little bit of the difference?

BTW I am living vicariously through you guys right now. Returning to SAR doesn't seem to be in my near future unfortunately.
USAR is normally a more hostile environment to work in then a wilderness environment, and I am not making light of wilderness, there are plenty of dangers out in the woods. But as a USAR team you respond to disasters, earthquakes, tornadoes, flooding/mudslides, etc. And going into a disaster zone, there is a possibility that the only way to get to your work site may be via helicopter and being hoisted down. We have done helo hot loads with our wilderness team to get the dogs used to the helicopters just in case, but no hoisting involved there.

Last edited by DinoBlue; 06-19-2014 at 11:52 AM.
post #37 of 174 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 11:51 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Pretty exciting. Any helo training we have had is just helicopter safety and not for transport. Our big excitement is riding in the back of a gator. Don't get me wrong, I have said a couple of prayers in the back of one of those things....same thing for ropes.....we don't do any high angle stuff..........
I like gator rides, but I think I have had the luck of getting the nice guys driving. Never done any rope stuff with my dog, done some without my dog but that's it. How do you set up training for that?
post #38 of 174 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

So tonight I did scent games with Titan in the back yard. First time we have ever done that at night. There was little to no light.. just my small porch light. For not doing anything scent related for about 2 months.. he did FANTASTIC. He didn't skip a beat. We did about 5 sessions of hiding his toy... high ground, low ground, hidden, in plain sight, and at his level. He loved it! Everything from the alert when he can't get to it, to the show me.. it was just flawless.

I almost regret doing this with him because it makes me reaffirm how AMAZING he is as SAR work and I just can't do it right now with things going on in my life. I wish more than anything that I could find a team in my area without driving 1.5 hours.. it would honestly make a world of difference... *sigh* I am going to have to be sure to keep these game up with him... he loves them so much. As soon as I said "smell" and showed him the toy, he knew. Makes me sad that timing and/or location just isn't right for us.. I even removed the team from my signature block because I didn't want to falsely claim it

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
post #39 of 174 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 09:57 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Quote:
I like gator rides, but I think I have had the luck of getting the nice guys driving. Never done any rope stuff with my dog, done some without my dog but that's it. How do you set up training for that?
The ride of note was about 30 minutes into deep woods on a foot trail. The back end slid out and hit a few trees and we were on the side of a mountain and it was straight down. Over some logs and through some creeks. He was booking it. Then we got on the road. I am there with my feet braced against the tailgate and have Beau pinned down to the bed of the little truck section with all my might. I swear he was doing 45 on those switchbacks.

One time I declined to let my dog ride on my lap on an ATV with two other fellows (three of us on the ATV and a dog?-and not one of us was a lightweight!). Grim rode in the back of the coroners van but I still wound up on the ATV...

I don't have a clue on the ropes....with a dog.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #40 of 174 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 12:12 AM
Elite Member

Whitney. I think you should move. What the heck.

I jest.... hey it took me until 49 years old to feel ready... your time will come!

karin

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page