How's training going? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 174 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 02:24 PM
Elite Member

Looks like everyone is keeping busy

I am working away with Eyra to get her ready for her HR certification, probably looking at early fall when the heat starts to break. Also need to re-cert her for wilderness live find before June 26 so have to find a cooler evening when we can get that done. And I am working to get my USAR dog ready for her FEMA certification test late fall. Have training both Saturday and Sunday this weekend (and an HR seminar the following weekend), but I do hope to get Monday as my day "off" to do nothing, or at least a day when I do not have to see the inside of a car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 174 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Aweseom Dino! Sounds like you are keeping busy too!! I told Nancy this, but I really envy that you guys are goign to seminars about this stuff. Curious... I see that Eyra has ScHII AND SAR.. how did that work? From my experience, if bitework has been done on a dog, typically SAR won't take them.. I'm intrigued.

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
post #13 of 174 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 02:45 PM

Taz and I just went Saturday for our first tranning with a great search team that was willing for us to come and train with them. We have just gotten started as Taz is only 6 months old, we have a long way to go and a lot to learn. He is doing great and gets super excited when I get his harness out, he knows what we are going to do. Wish I had pics to post from Saturday, but I forgot my camera. Maybe as we are doing our "homework" before the next tranning I can get some pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 174 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 02:50 PM
Elite Member

I know of a couple of other SAR dogs with ScHH titles and also groups that will take SchH trained dogs.

In my case, there are a few people in my group that are active in SchH so they know and understand what it's all about. But bottom line is that each dog is carefully evaluated and it does come down to the individual dog. Eyra is absolutely rock solid in terms of temperament and nerve.

There is another thread about this...I will find the link.
post #15 of 174 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 08:05 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

The topic is very much team specific and sometimes state-specific. Yes there are several threads on this to go search for.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #16 of 174 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 08:06 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

One thing about going to seminars is you meet people that you see time and time again over the years. I'm at my breeder in a seminar. And I've met people who have given me countless help and advice over the years it is a wonderful way to prevent the inbreeding that often occurs when a team only trains within itself

EDIT-plans for Memorial Day weekend. Clean out my truck from the seminar. And we have water training all day Saturday with our NEW 8hp 4cycle gas engine. We have gone through 2 trolling motoris so this is new ground for us. We got 4 cycle because it has far less fumes than 2 cycle and this will make our boat actually usable on some searches.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 05-22-2014 at 10:09 PM.
post #17 of 174 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 08:27 AM
Elite Member

We were supposed to have water training Sunday but due to the location we have access to and the water levels/tide/currents we have to reschedule. So instead we will train at a junk yard, or perhaps I should call in an auto salvage yard. Either way, it's a fun place to train.
post #18 of 174 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 08:50 AM
Elite Member

Water training made me think... I have to teach Tygo to SWIM! That is a sign off I will need. He seems to love water, but doesn't let go of the bottom. Got to get my wetsuit out and get in with him. This weekend is supposed to be warm... might have to do that.
That will be our water training.

Cool reports everyone.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
post #19 of 174 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Awesome you guys!! I love hearing how you all are doing!! Taz, share those pics when you get them we'd love to see!!

Dino, I got the link and have looked.. real interesting. Changes some things a bit.

Nancy, good luck with your truck.. I just saw you post about it but I haven't looked at that thread yet! Haha. Good to know about the seminars, how do you learn about them?? I never hear anything like that, but I would like to go to one, one of these days.

Karin, let us know how the swimming lessons go!! Sometimes I wish I hadn't given Titan the chance to learn to swim.. he is addicted, be careful

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
post #20 of 174 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 06:18 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

A lot of seminars are annual events and, once you go, you get put on the mailing list. Others are announced on K9 SAR specific forums. [usually not a lot of discussion on the ones I participate in, but seminar announcements etc.]

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page