How's training going? - Page 18 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #171 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 09:54 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
@Nancy, is this the same ankle you have metal holding it together? I recall you had a major "rebuild" on one of them. Hopefully it'll heal up soon.
Yes actually had the accident in 2005 (fracture with metal plate-never play with a dog on a tracking line-lesson learned) but a fall this spring (slide out on gravel) did some more damage and the PT says basically the ligaments in my foot are toast. She is both stretching out scar tissue and teaching me how to use other leg muscles for the balance that normally the foot muscles create. On normal ground it is find but off trail and getting in and out of boats even with good ankle support puts a lot of stress there. I gather the issues will never be fixed but can be made workable.
Nigel likes this.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 11:17 PM
Elite Member

Thanks Nigel.. And DOT is 'direction of travel' used for trailing dogs as often police want to narrow the search down and deploy other resources in the area most likely the subject is at. So a trailing dog might still be following the trail when the subjects found by other searchers because the direction of travel was made and resources where used more practically..

Karin, sounds like you have been busy and doing a great job!!

Nancy, sorry to hear the ankle is still bugging you so much.. Have had many surgeries in life and know the pain of demolished joints and scar tissue.. Hang in there! Also understand the spaying of your girl.. Mine was cycling every 3mos! Crazy! So she was spayed before 2 just for her own sanity as well as workability...
post #173 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 12:40 AM
Crowned Member

Thanks Hineni! That makes sense now.

Nancy, Just realised from your earlier post that the thimble of gristle was under moving water, I'm amazed they can find something that small under those conditions.

My girls found a moose carcass during a camping trip earlier this year, that's about as good as it gets for us. Looks like wolves had torn it up and spread it around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #174 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 09:42 AM
Elite Member

Nigel said: Question about long searches, is it necessary to take breaks and reinforce training at intervals in this type of work? Watching a program about the 9/11 search dogs, they found the dogs would lose focus as time between finds became extended. Some training session and reward would re-energize them or something along those lines?

Those were usually very long hours under extremely difficult and stressful conditions, and where a live find search dog was meeting death at every turn... Same for the humans... That can take its toll on everyone and so breaks and mock live finds help bring up everyone's mood... If it is a long trail, we break because of fatigue for the dog.. Hard for them to sniff effectively if heavily panting or dry mouth.. But forced breaks like Nancy said is the norm, as the dog is likely to try and push through the exhaustion because they love what they do so much....
Nigel likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page