Search! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Search!

Just a few easy questions to satisfy my curiosity. What word or words do you use, or have you used with your dog for "search"?

The state of Illinois does not support cadaver, so in in their USAR cert, cadaver is planted as a distraction to ignore. Which made me wonder...

Do any of you have dogs who perform multiple types of search? e.g. narc, sar, exp, live, hrd, etc? How do you personally cue your dog for each?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OFA Good/Normal | DM Clear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Welp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 11:28 AM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

USAR dogs are generally not cross trained. Some wilderness dogs are. When I tried to cross train my wilderness dog I used "go find" for live and "such" for HRD.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 07:29 PM

I use "find" for live and "seek" for not.

More important than the words are the routine actions leading up to them. Part of that is for live I put a vest on my dog. For cadaver I don't use a vest but have a different collar that I put on him. I have different reward toys for each type of search and let him see the appropriate one briefly before starting. For live he starts from a standing position; for cadaver he starts from a down. So by the time the word is spoken he already knows what he is about to search for.

Jonathan & Benny

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Oh great idea separating not just the word...

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 10:02 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

My dog is single purpose/cadaver. He pretty much searches on his own, whenever I take him anywhere and cut him off lead but I do consistently sit him, look him in the eyes, and say "such".

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 10:49 PM
Crowned Member

"Search" is Titan's command to live find. When we start HRD it will be "Find Bones" that's more of a common command in our team than anything. I have thought of changing it to another one but not sure yet. Someone else on our team has "work" for live find, "track track" for tracking and "find fred" for HRD, all for the one dog.

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 12:58 AM

We have our "routine" that we go through. Ava only wears a flat collar when we search, unlike her prong and slip collars for obedience and rally, and it is a specific collar. (actually, she has up to three that she wears for searching: her wide, reflective SEARCH collar, her GPS tracking collar, and she also has an LED collar that she wears at night) She also has a specific leash that is only used for searching.
When I walk her to her starting point, I unhook her leash and hold on to her collar, and start to get her psyched up. Not that she isn't already LOL... but I give her a little shake on her collar and ask her, "you ready to work? You ready to go work???" in my excited voice. Then, once she responds by giving me a lunge and a "cry", I give her a slap on the shoulder at the same time as releasing her, and tell her, "Go Find!!!"

We do airscenting (live find), btw

Julie

Ilse CGC and Certified Therapy Dog
Ava Von Hanabrit CD RN CGC and SAR Wilderness Airscenting K9
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 01:02 AM

Zoek - pronounced sook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page