New Book - What the Dog Knows - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

New Book - What the Dog Knows

http://www.amazon.com/What-Dog-Knows-Science-Working/dp/1451667310
Written by a cadaver dog handler Cat Warren (I have not met her in person) but it is very interested to me because she has trained with many of the folks I have, and has some similar experiences. Her story about Roy and Suzie Ferguson hit me as she was auditing the very seminar I was attending and I clearly remember the training scenarios they set up.

She has also put a lot of research into the book and I learned some "new things" that were very interesting. Definitely a worthwhile read.

On the side, her next cadaver dog will be Beau's younger half-sister (same dam, different sire)

I am about halfway through it and have read enough to recommend it.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 02:02 PM
Elite Member

Cool! I ordered my copy a while back and it got here last week, but I haven't had time to open it yet.

That's really neat that you have overlapping experiences with the author. I might have to ask for some inside baseball after I've read it.

ARCHMX TDCH Pongu the Insane, CD-C, RE, RL1X6, RL2X5, RL3X2 (GSD mix, b. Apr 2010)
Crookytail the Tigerwuff, RL1, ITD (Akita mix, b. Jan 2011)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 08:23 PM

Just bought it yesterday and like it so far!

Inka Vom Kleinen Hain
Izaak GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 12:01 PM
Crowned Member

on the wish list...

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 04:57 PM

It's on my iPad waiting to be read - if I can ever get the iPad back from my son .
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Crowned Member

Training Frank on explosives, so looking forward to reading!

| OFA Good/Normal | DM Clear
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

I like the book a lot. I think it is not comprehensive on the various methods of training though..but I don't think it was written to be a training manual; perhaps more of a personal journey and insight into the dogs themselves....there really are NOT any good books on a systematic method of training of detection dogs to my knowledge.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
I like the book a lot. I think it is not comprehensive on the various methods of training though..but I don't think it was written to be a training manual; perhaps more of a personal journey and insight into the dogs themselves....there really are NOT any good books on a systematic method of training of detection dogs to my knowledge.
Let me know if you feel like writing one Nancy. I've thought of it several times, but don't have experience on the SAR side of the house. I already have an editor
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 08:11 AM
Crowned Member

In the reviews, I see it's not an instruction book, but a fascinating read.

| OFA Good/Normal | DM Clear
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Oh, I sure don't have the experience to write one; I have a very limited training experience with imprinting using stuff in scent tubes, then indication drills, then search problems and experience. It would be nice to work through an anthology of different methods though! Several different approaches out there, all of which seem to work, and different ones suited to different dogs.

Yes, it truly is a fascinating read! With Cat being only about 5 hours from me, the overlap in people we have trained with makes it come alive. Our team president is listed in the credits, too. I have not met Cat personally though, but have on FB since our dogs are half-siblings from the same breeder.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page