Been out of SAR training for 9 months. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Been out of SAR training for 9 months.

So I am about to come home from my deployment in a little over a month and obviously have to start thinking about training with my boy again. He will have been out of training for about 9 months by the time I take him again. Where do you think we should start? I know that he won't be where he was before I left. Has anyone taken their dog out of training for that long. (Obviously my team lead would be able to answer this too, but I'm always interested in multiple perspectives).

I also was thinking too that we should work more on his OB first.. or maybe we can do that at the same time? His OB was pretty good when we were training but I would really like to get him perfect on it. We still had some issues during training where he would run toward water to play and not listen to me when I called him back.. or when we are working parallel searches, he would want to go greet the other dog and handler.. little things like that. So I am wondering actually.. if it might be better to get him perfect on OB before continuing him in SAR training. What are your guys' thoughts?

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 06:23 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I think you will be surprised. Grim went through a long non-training stretch from when my father was diagnosed with lung cancer followed by my mother's stroke in Jan 2007 and I took a leave from the team and dog training until August 2007. I moved in with my parents in FL and telecommuted from there, and my husband took care of the dog.

When we started back, he honestly did not miss a beat. I had him since March 2006 when I got him at 2.5 and started training. So it is not like he was a seasoned dog.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 06:37 AM
Banned

when i first read that i read "come home from my "developement" and
i thought what are you developing? i was having a case of the early
morning duh's. thanks for being there. i don't do SAR but i think your
dog is going to be at the same level training where you left off. dogs
seem to have a strong memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post

>>>>> So I am about to come home from my deployment <<<<<

in a little over a month and obviously have to start thinking about training with my boy again.

He will have been out of training for about 9 months by the time I take him again. Where do you think we should start? I know that he won't be where he was before I left. Has anyone taken their dog out of training for that long. (Obviously my team lead would be able to answer this too, but I'm always interested in multiple perspectives).

I also was thinking too that we should work more on his OB first.. or maybe we can do that at the same time? His OB was pretty good when we were training but I would really like to get him perfect on it. We still had some issues during training where he would run toward water to play and not listen to me when I called him back.. or when we are working parallel searches, he would want to go greet the other dog and handler.. little things like that. So I am wondering actually.. if it might be better to get him perfect on OB before continuing him in SAR training. What are your guys' thoughts?
Edit-Used my mod "superpowers" to remove the inadvertent "wink"

Last edited by NancyJ; 07-31-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
I think you will be surprised. Grim went through a long non-training stretch from when my father was diagnosed with lung cancer followed by my mother's stroke in Jan 2007 and I took a leave from the team and dog training until August 2007. I moved in with my parents in FL and telecommuted from there, and my husband took care of the dog.

When we started back, he honestly did not miss a beat. I had him since March 2006 when I got him at 2.5 and started training. So it is not like he was a seasoned dog.
That is awesome to read! I am hoping that is the case with him. He is so very smart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
when i first read that i read "come home from my "developement" and
i thought what are you developing? i was having a case of the early
morning duh's. thanks for being there. i don't do SAR but i think your
dog is going to be at the same level training where you left off. dogs
seem to have a strong memory.
HAHAHA you had me laughing over here at work.. I just imagined what I would have thought if I read that with "developement" too funny!

What are your guys' thoughts on perfecting OB before or during SAR training??

v/r,

Whitney
and
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
What are your guys' thoughts on perfecting OB before or during SAR training??
My own thought is it depends on the dog and the type of obedience. For Grim, I did very little obedience and everything was motivational. I believe he had suffered under the hands of strong compulsion before I got him and even motivational obedience was not his thing. But he did not need it. It was all natural to him.

For Beau, who is a completely different dog, I probably do three hours of obedience of every hour of scentwork, up to the point of doing obedience immediately before doing scentwork.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Interesting. I guess I'll just have to gage. I know that me being away for so long, I'll have ot at least brush up on a few things. Maybe I'll see how he does the first couple training sessions first and go off that.

v/r,

Whitney
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page