California SAR teams? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

California SAR teams?

As an ER nurse and someone who has military experience, I would love to do SAR...create a PURPOSE for Sabo, if he can do it. As I've mentioned in a few of our previous posts, the obedience trainer I've found also has SAR classes. She has her own shepherd that is trained in child location. I would love to get involved in more of the wilderness searches or disaster searches- cadaver or not. I've read some of the links here regarding the books, and I have ordered them. I've emailed the NASAR for more information.

Does anyone know if there are SAR teams in So Cal? I've tried looking for clubs for more intensive training, but can't find anything.

For myself--my ultimate goal as a nurse is to get on a helicopter for extraction work. Volunteer or paid, I dont care...I want that bird! Now that I have a pup, if he can work, why not go into it with him? I understand that the two things are drastically different, but either way, it's along the same lines I think.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 04:31 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

California has 8 USAR teams. You can find out about them by going to disasterdog.org. I do not know if any are accepting new members and if they allow civilian bought dogs. Each team is different.

As for wilderness,a google search should pull a few up.

Have you asked your trainer who she is affiliated with?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Not yet. Class is tuesday, and I will ask her then. I'm one of those "I dont wanna buy it on line cause I want it now" and also "I want to have an idea of whats going on before I start asking questions" people...so researching now until tomorrow night--All mixed in with a bit of "I dont believe you until I have proof" people, so I'm starting to research it all now! If there are no teams out here within a few hours drive, why have a hard focus on it? You know? For fun, that's awesome, but with a focus on something he can actually use would be great.

My husband does know a lady in Santa Barbara who has always trained her own SAR dogs (I dont remember her name) so I'm also asking him to call her up for more information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 04:56 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I know this group is an affiliation in CA of SAR teams and individuals but I don't know a lot about them or their structure

California Rescue Dog Association

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
I know this group is an affiliation in CA of SAR teams and individuals but I don't know a lot about them or their structure

California Rescue Dog Association
yes ^^^^this. This is my team This website has a contact link. If interested give it a click!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

It's so far north of me! Do any members live down in the LA area?

Sabo- March 19, 2013
Metro- November 2006- May 29, 2013
Instagram-

(I'm nuts)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 07:44 PM

Yes, me There are teams as far south as San Diego as well as up north. It is statewide. This said, however, there is always a lot of travel involved.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

The travel isn't a problem, I would be more concerned with being able to make training if the training was that far north or way too south.

Sabo- March 19, 2013
Metro- November 2006- May 29, 2013
Instagram-

(I'm nuts)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page