Curious about search and rescue, especially cadaver - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Talking Curious about search and rescue, especially cadaver

When I started college, my mind was set on trying to go into the FBI. I knew I would need a Criminal Justice or Criminology bachelor's degree. However, I am now going to be starting my third year of college, and I realized that while the FBI might be able to give me a job, it most likely will be a desk job. I might be able to deal with a desk job, but I also like to move around on my feet and sometimes when I'm moving I am able to think things out better. Well, I then started thinking about trying to going towards being a state trooper and try going into the canine division of the department. Sadly, that might not work for me either because 1. I am not very strong (I am 5'7 and weigh about 108 lbs., which I know is way below what I should be, but that can kind of be attributed to my meds for my ADHD and genetics since my dad was skinny like me when he was his age) and 2. I have no archs in my feet, makes running a little difficult for me. Anyways, I then realized that I might not have to give up on my dream of working within law enforcement and canines. Search and reacue works with both, especially with cadaver searches. The only thing is...I have no clue on what is needed in order to qualify or certified in SAR or in cadaver work. I would very much appreciate it anyone can inform me on this matter. Thank you for reading and for any advice on this subject. Also, I apologize if I should have posted this thread in that chat room and not the SAR sections.

RIP Bear 1992-2000
RIP Jenna DOB 11/26/00, came home on 12/29/00, and DOD 12/29/11- Your pawprints are written on my heart and I miss you every day.
GYPSY!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DOB February 25, 2012-whom I call Psyscho Puppy with love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Elite Member

Have you read Susannah Charleson's book "Scent of the Missing"? It is a thorough and illuminating description of what it's like to work in search and rescue, how the dogs are trained, what a certification test is like, and so on. Beautifully written book, and profiles several different teams with different types of dogs.

I have never done SAR so I can't speak firsthand about the accuracy of its depictions, but as an outsider I thought it was great.

ARCHMX TDCH Pongu the Insane, CD-C, RE, RL1X6, RL2X5, RL3X2 (GSD mix, b. Apr 2010)
Crookytail the Tigerwuff, RL1, ITD (Akita mix, b. Jan 2011)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 09:27 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Getting involved with a team, and there are several in Texas would be a good start.

Texas State University in San Marcos also has a forensic anthropology program as well as a "body farm" so it may be worth a trip to look into that discipline. It is a good foundation / would be a great career to coordinate.

Renee Utley on this forum is in Texas in LE (Beaufort). She is the moderator here, Ladylaw. I would talk directly with her as she would have a handle on what is going on in that state.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the suggestion on the reading material, Merciel. I love to read, so I will definately try and see if my local library has a copy of the book and if not, I might be able to find it at Half Price Books.
Thank you to Jocyon, too. It was your threads on your work with Beau that really started my interest in the subject. I believe the University of Texas at Arlington has anthropology, but I do not know if it is just cultural or not. I will check out the University of Texas in San Marcos suggestion, though. I will also take your suggestion on contacting Ladylaw.
Thank you so much for your ideas and suggestions.

RIP Bear 1992-2000
RIP Jenna DOB 11/26/00, came home on 12/29/00, and DOD 12/29/11- Your pawprints are written on my heart and I miss you every day.
GYPSY!!
DOB February 25, 2012-whom I call Psyscho Puppy with love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page