Retiring Indra - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Retiring Indra

I've made a decision. I'm retiring Indra. Her PF's have gotten worse. She went from one to four fistulas. She's happy to work, doesn't show pain but she's just not healthy and I'm concentrating on a dog that has a horrible, painful disease. Just because she doesn't show any pain, doesn't mean she doesn't feel pain.

Her career is over before it has even begun. I will still take her out for fun but I'm not training towards certification any longer. I have two healthy dogs that I can concentrate on. She will be spoiled rotten until the day I have to let her go.

We've spent all day together. She accompanied me picking up two fosters. We had a blast together but I've been thinking a lot about her condition and I think, at this point, it's best to retire her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 12:56 AM
Crowned Member

Sorry to see this Sandra. I know you're doing what's best for her. I can't imagine how hard it is to retire her because she really does have such promise. Some choices are just hard. Best thing ever though.... she is loved. That's what matters most.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
I've made a decision. I'm retiring Indra. Her PF's have gotten worse. She went from one to four fistulas. She's happy to work, doesn't show pain but she's just not healthy and I'm concentrating on a dog that has a horrible, painful disease. Just because she doesn't show any pain, doesn't mean she doesn't feel pain.

Her career is over before it has even begun. I will still take her out for fun but I'm not training towards certification any longer. I have two healthy dogs that I can concentrate on. She will be spoiled rotten until the day I have to let her go.

We've spent all day together. She accompanied me picking up two fosters. We had a blast together but I've been thinking a lot about her condition and I think, at this point, it's best to retire her.
What KZ said. Sorry to hear this..I'm not familiar with your dogs condition, is it something that can be managed with medication so that her 'retirement' can be more like a hiatus??..

RIP Malachi 'Kai' My Midnite Rider ♡
I may not be consistent with anything else, but I'm consistent w my dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Crowned Member

Agree-She is loved that's what matters most-hope it helps her to stay healthy
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 12:31 PM
Crowned Member

Wondering... is there a surgery that can be done?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Banned

From everything I've read so far, most of the time Surgeries are not successful and they come back. So I'm not going to put her through it. Especially since it seems to be autoimune.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

They say it is not the current approach. There is a yahoo group PF-L where I would go.

I did have successful surgery with Toby by a doctor in Harrisonburg VA (A 6+ hour drive for me) and he was very reasonable compared to the costs of other far less complicated surgeries, but even so it is an expensive surgery. He actually dissected out all the tracts. Toby was 7, he died at 11 from hemangiosarcma without any recurrence.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Crowned Member

I'm really sorry to hear this. PF's are just not fair and I hate the our breed is high on the list of getting them.

I am hoping being retired and just chilling out and not working she will be calm and stress free and this will result in a better well being for her hopefully helping the PF's.

Yes, are you on the yahoo group?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 01:29 AM
Elite Member

What happend to mrs.k why is she now banned??????

~Christen
REBEL~PIT BULL
BATISTA~SHAR PEI
BANDIT~CHI/YORKIE
GABE~RAT TERRIE/CORGIE
ANGLE~RAT TERRIER/CORGIE
PEPPER~RAT TERRIER
HONEY~CHIHUHUHA
REBA~ENGLISH BULLDOG
OLIVER~MUTT
CHEWIE~POM MIX
LEVI~PAP/CHI
SISSY~MUTT
LUCY~WHENIER MIX
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 06:46 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

She was banned over a year ago. The answer is in her last post.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page