Gun Dogs - air scenting - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Gun Dogs - air scenting

About 20 minutes from here is a very good local hunting dog trainer. Today I talked to him for about half an hour because I was curious.
He told me that they train "find a buck' or 'find a duck' dogs, where the dogs are sent out and they have to cover huuuuge areas, sometimes 200 or 300 acres and if they found something they come back, with a bringsel in their mouth to indicate and than lead them to the buck.

This is classic area search and how crazy is it that a hunting dog trainer is the only one using the bringsel?

I know it has been said before to watch bird dogs etc.
Anyhow, guess where I am going on Saturday to work out a training plan and who is going to learn how to train the Bringsel as indication.
Just talking to him about what we do, the similarities are crazy. He knows this area in and out and he used to train Swat Dogs for a living before retiring.

And maybe I get to learn how to hunt too
Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 07:57 PM
Elite Member

That sounds so cool! Tell an ignorant woman what a bringsel is??

Amy and the dogs,

Jack - male GSD b. 8/9/10
Lillian - female Weimaraner b. ~2005
RIP Mattie - female GSD 10/18/02 - 7/24/2013
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 08:30 PM
Crowned Member

A bringsel is a short stick or other device that is suspended from the collar of a trained dog and that the dog takes in his mouth as a signal to the handler that he has located an objective (as a wounded man). Compliments of Merrium-Webster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
He told me that they train "find a buck' or 'find a duck' dogs, where the dogs are sent out and they have to cover huuuuge areas, sometimes 200 or 300 acres and if they found something they come back, with a bringsel in their mouth to indicate and than lead them to the buck.
What I find hard to believe is that a buck would just stand there waiting for the dog to return to the hunter and then lead them back to where it was.

Especially if the dog was 200 acres away from the hunters!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 08:32 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
A bringsel is a short stick or other device that is suspended from the collar of a trained dog and that the dog takes in his mouth as a signal to the handler that he has located an objective (as a wounded man). Compliments of Merrium-Webster.

What I find hard to believe is that a buck would just stand there waiting for the dog to return to the hunter and then lead them back to where it was.

Especially if the dog was 200 acres away from the hunters!!
Thanks, Lauri! Guess I could have looked that up. Doh!

I was also wondering how that happens. The buck isn't just gonna hang out. Guess the dog brings the handler back to the sighting and tracks it from there?

Amy and the dogs,

Jack - male GSD b. 8/9/10
Lillian - female Weimaraner b. ~2005
RIP Mattie - female GSD 10/18/02 - 7/24/2013
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 08:37 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

My lab has all of her foundation work fir hunting. It is a blast!!

But I too find it odd that the hunter uses the dogs this way. Kind if takes away the point of hunting.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
My lab has all of her foundation work fir hunting. It is a blast!!

But I too find it odd that the hunter uses the dogs this way. Kind if takes away the point of hunting.

I think it has more to do with deer tracking for wounded deer?
He was also talking about flushing dogs but I will find out more on saturday.

Last edited by Mrs.K; 06-24-2013 at 08:47 PM.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 08:50 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Yeah had not heard of using the bringsel but know several folks with hunting dogs who that before they got into SAR

Cyra was a nice little airscent dog and I was once flanked by a bird hunter and she said how she worked a lot like her bird dogs casting for scent.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Banned

It did sound like the hunting dog trainer was just as excited as I am. I will definitely report
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 12:16 AM
Crowned Member

strange not to be moving along with the dogs . Did a lot of research into both Bavarian and Hanoverian hound dogs used to trail injured game for miles , with as little as one spilled drop of blood every 20 - 30 feet, all weather conditions , aged track. Also looked into Basset Fauve du Bretagne . I think the Bavarian and Hanoverian are smart looking animals with single minded dedication to hunt/search. I particularly like a strong natural instinctive tracking , searching dog.
never encountered a dog working 200 to 300 acres alone and then bringing a bringsel to indicate a find . Too easy to loose a dog , and sometimes the injured quarry is still on the move. Bayerische Gebirgsschweisshundezucht / Militzer´s Meute / Bilzingsleben / Thüringen

Carmen

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 08:17 AM

It is a common occurance, once an animal is shot, to see the animal run away. The hunter will go to where he/she thinks the animal was struck and look for blood sign. If there is no blood, the hunter will assume the shot was a miss. More blood indicates a more deadly shot which equals a shorter distance to find the animal. When shot and if able, the animal will run until they reach what they feel is a safe distance, then lie down. If the game is mortally wounded they will usually die in that spot.

Depending on how much trail sign is available, the animal can be VERY hard to find. I have heard of standard dachshunds being called to help track big game that has been shot and lost.

Concerning the "find a buck" problem, I do not know why you would work an area search-type problem, though. There is almost always a point of last known location to start from. And I would assume there is blood to trail, as well, if you believe the game is injured.

I'm not trying to be contrary, just pointing out that it would look more like a trailing problem than an area search in a big-game hunting situation.

I guess for "find a duck" it is a bit of an area search, but even then, ducks (and most other fowl I know of) are shot with a shotgun and limit the range you need the dog to travel to about 150-200yds? And the way I've seen them train is to go out on the line the hunter sees the fowl fall. A well trained field lab will travel for several hundred yards in a straight line through brush and over water until he smells the kill, or thinks he should, and then he'll start casting.

If you are really training to do a classic area search of 200-300 acres, using a bringsel, I am sincerely interested in hearing more about your training. I like the idea of the bringsel, but do not know enough about it to start training with one. Also, I think there are a lot of things hunters teach we can learn from, and I try to be very open minded, especially when I see good results.

Please keep us updated on what you learn!

K9 Liesl vom Wildhaus - RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page