I'm just getting started... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

I'm just getting started...

For the last few weeks I've been working hard on building Liesl's focused response/trained indication and learning her natural indicators. We've been playing find-it games with her favorite ball toys and I've tried to get her to rep her trained indication behavior with each meal (down/nose to source/focused response). I've been recording them and reviewing and trying to improve... Yes, I am a bit obsessed. I tend to get this way when doing foundational type training.

Yesterday, my team supplied me with my first source odor material (for HRD). Although Liesl has been exposed to source before, it was very preliminary and more of a "do you think she would mind hunting for HR?" type exposure. We made it fun, but she has never indicated on source before.

We did three short finds last night. I set up an easier set of find's with HR over her ball. Liesl did GREAT! First, she passed the source odor, and I just kept walking with her. When she came back to it, and indicated, I rewarded very quickly (I've been using a modified version of Andrew Ramsey's nosework method to reward and train a focused response, btw). The second time through, again with the source in a very easy spot, she did not pass the odor source and she did not hesitate. She indicated with a down with her nose to the source. She looked so sure, I even gave a light tug on her collar, just before I rewarded her. Same scenario for the final find.

I should mention, Liesl is VERY biddable, so it has been my goal from the beginning of any nosework to get her to follow the source regardless of what I do. And I feel she is coming along VERY nicely.

We did four finds this morning, and Liesl did perfectly! This morning, I built her focus duration (by a fraction of a second) and tugged lightly again to proof her commitment to the source odor. I'm super pleased with her performance.

I was very proud of her, and I'm very proud of how quickly we've been able to get a decent indicator on source odor. I can't wait til our next team training!! She is just killing it!

K9 Liesl vom Wildhaus - RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 12:38 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsj View Post
For the last few weeks I've been working hard on building Liesl's focused response/trained indication and learning her natural indicators. We've been playing find-it games with her favorite ball toys and I've tried to get her to rep her trained indication behavior with each meal (down/nose to source/focused response). I've been recording them and reviewing and trying to improve... Yes, I am a bit obsessed. I tend to get this way when doing foundational type training.

Yesterday, my team supplied me with my first source odor material (for HRD). Although Liesl has been exposed to source before, it was very preliminary and more of a "do you think she would mind hunting for HR?" type exposure. We made it fun, but she has never indicated on source before.

We did three short finds last night. I set up an easier set of find's with HR over her ball. Liesl did GREAT! First, she passed the source odor, and I just kept walking with her. When she came back to it, and indicated, I rewarded very quickly (I've been using a modified version of Andrew Ramsey's nosework method to reward and train a focused response, btw). The second time through, again with the source in a very easy spot, she did not pass the odor source and she did not hesitate. She indicated with a down with her nose to the source. She looked so sure, I even gave a light tug on her collar, just before I rewarded her. Same scenario for the final find.

I should mention, Liesl is VERY biddable, so it has been my goal from the beginning of any nosework to get her to follow the source regardless of what I do. And I feel she is coming along VERY nicely.

We did four finds this morning, and Liesl did perfectly! This morning, I built her focus duration (by a fraction of a second) and tugged lightly again to proof her commitment to the source odor. I'm super pleased with her performance.

I was very proud of her, and I'm very proud of how quickly we've been able to get a decent indicator on source odor. I can't wait til our next team training!! She is just killing it!

why are you tugging on her collar?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

I use a special wide, flat, neoprene collar when we work with target odor. I have been putting her on a 6' leash while we work on the duration of her indicator. I have been using that to proof and (hopefully) increase the strength of her trained indication.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I would like to get to a Ramsey seminar and am not really familiar with his methods. So I really can't say..that is not judging just saying how you are doing it all is not really clear to me.....We started with a very different approach. .......

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

The team has helped with getting her acquainted with source odor by playing with scent tubes, and when she shows interest we reward. I believe they are trying to build a positive association with the source odor.

One of the reasons I like Ramsey is becuase he explains what he is teaching. I'm an engineer, so if I feel like I understand the principles being taught I can adapt them to different situations. Of course, because this is my first dog to do any nosework, I'm expecting I'll make some mistakes, but thats how we learn, eh?

How did you get started?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 02:01 PM
Elite Member

Not familiar with Ramsey either.

We use Randy Hare's method with the boxes.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 02:24 PM
Crowned Member

he has tweaked the method we use to train police and military dogs and adapted it to civilians. The way we train commitment to source is by withholding the reward until the dog exhibits the final trained response we desire. If the dog has the drive for the reward and the reward is ONLY delivered at source,the dog will commit and not move

Also we start out with a scented reward. the dog searches and alerts to that. then the reward object is removed and only target odor placed out this is what motivates the dog to search and alert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page