Books/Training DVD's - Search Tactics/Patterns etc. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Books/Training DVD's - Search Tactics/Patterns etc.

Are there any recommendations for good books and training dvd's on K9 SAR Theory, Search Patterns, Tactics how to set up different search areas. etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

There is not much out there in the way of books. The IC field handbook is helpful. The ARDA book still have some basic scent dispersal patterns as do FEMA materials...and of course no car should leave home without Koester's book on lost person behavior.

A lot of what we train is based on search experience. A GOOD book is overdue. I think Bulunda may be working on a new one (Ready). Since we get more dementia/rural but not true wilderness calls one scenario is to have someone go wandering around their house several days in a raw, scatter personal belongings (like clothes) around the yard, leave family members in/near the house then hide near the house but keep moving to evade searchers. It is a harder scenario than you may think. .....

The biggest help we got from ATSAR (a team we have called in for back up) is "spokes of the wheel"....start with the LKP as the hub of the wheel and radiate out using statistical distances then add some and set containment at clear boundaries then hasty the spokes (trails, roads, etc) and detail based on clues ..... The best training I have had, and our team is doing it as a group this year is the NASAR MLPI class. ERI puts on a similar class.

It came to life for me because I know the fellow who found the 3 year old boy in the 'good' case study and it turned him from hunting for racoons to hunting for people. The bad case study was tragic. Never discount the areas close to a home and keep searching and researching them because people move.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
A lot of what we train is based on search experience. A GOOD book is overdue. I think Bulunda may be working on a new one (Ready). Since we get more dementia/rural but not true wilderness calls one scenario is to have someone go wandering around their house several days in a raw, scatter personal belongings (like clothes) around the yard, leave family members in/near the house then hide near the house but keep moving to evade searchers. It is a harder scenario than you may think. .....
You have just described my very first Search I've ever been on. We got called out in the middle of the night and basically searched on the wrong side. It is in my nature to always think outside the box. We were searching for 5 hours in one Area and I had found a footprint that could have been from a family member and I kept looking to the other side of the road and was like "What if he's over there? We have not found anything over here." and they were like "That's not our Search Area."

The police K9 jumped into a pile of broken glas, got injured and pulled. Later when the sun came up, we were tired, wet, dirty but still ready to roll, we got finally sent over into the Area I kept looking at and a Police K9 Man Trailer came out. We grid searched our way to a path and found tracks that were obviously from an older person, dragging one foot. So we finally had the trail and followed it. The Man Trailer passed us, and 15 minutes later, we were just closing in on the Area he was in, we got the call that the Man Trailer had found the missing person.
--------------------------

By the way, the "Moving Subject" Certification is basically for Alzheimer and Dementia people. First time we did it with Indra, she was sort of thrown off. The Subject was walking in a circle for about 15-30 minutes. What threw her off, was the behavior of the Subject. Looking to the ground, babbling, walking in a circle. She was thrown off, then followed the Subject and I was told to call her back and prompt the indication but I know that my dog is a thinker and she likes figuring things out herself, that's how she learns best. They told me again to call her back, and I was like "No, let her work it out. I know her." because I saw her wheels turning and I wanted to give her the chance to figure it out herself. And she did.

However, seeing her first reaction to the moving Subject impersonating Alzheimer, that was a learning moment for me.

This week she will go out into an unknown Search Area, with three Subjects. 2 Brothers and a Dad. However, I think the "Moving Subject" (Alzheimer and Dementia) and Search Time, is basically whats most important, just like you said. Especially with the thrown in Behavior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 09:53 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

The walking in a circle thing is atypical from all I have learned. We had a good class with Teepa Snow who helps train caregivers for dementia and the tendency is straight line until they run into something then drop on the ground and crawl until they can move no more. She had all kinds of interesting stuff. Definitely good to watch her schedule and attend if she does anything up there. She is absolutely amazing at getting you into the head of someone with dementia. I used a lot of her things to help me deal with my mother who has severe brain damage from a stroke and slowly progressing dementia as well.

Teepa Snow teepasnow.com

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
The walking in a circle thing is atypical from all I have learned. We had a good class with Teepa Snow who helps train caregivers for dementia and the tendency is straight line until they run into something then drop on the ground and crawl until they can move no more. She had all kinds of interesting stuff. Definitely good to watch her schedule and attend if she does anything up there. She is absolutely amazing at getting you into the head of someone with dementia. I used a lot of her things to help me deal with my mother who has severe brain damage from a stroke and slowly progressing dementia as well.

Teepa Snow teepasnow.com
Is there a difference between Dimentia and Alzheimer? From what I know, the circle is typical for Alzheimer, at least that is what I was told and we have a lot of Alzheimer cases out here.

Thanks for the link. I will keep an eye out. Lost Person Behavior is definitely what I need in my repertoire. I've missed it both times it was offered.

Are there any good books on Lost Person Behavior at all?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 10:49 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Alzheimer is a form of dementia.....I will have to double check on the circling.....Koester is the best book. There is an old one by Syrotouk but the data set was small.

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Person-Behavior-search-rescue/dp/1879471396

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I wouldn't be surprised if the circling was wrong.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 11:24 PM

I've recently taken a few classes on searching for dementia/Alzheimer's patients and circling was not discussed. From what I understood, the current understanding is that they move in a more-or-less straight line as jocoyn said.

As far as book recommendations, I think it depends a lot on what your experience level is. I highly recommend the ARDA book for absolute beginners; I'm not far from that myself and that was definitely the book I found most helpful. It has a really good basic outline for training (my team deviates from it somewhat, but the general principles and overall progression are the same) and it has one of the best introductory descriptions of scent theory I've come across. My team routinely uses diagrams from the book in basic training presentations. But it is really basic and won't give you any new information if you understand those principles already.

I'm new enough that I'm not comfortable recommending more than that...I'm finding some books and videos very helpful right now, but I have yet to see if that bears out in the long run.

The rowdy dogs:
Hector-2 y/o GSD (mix?) rescue
Scooter-12 y/o ACD/Border Collie mix
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page