How do I prolong my pseudo scent? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

How do I prolong my pseudo scent?

Any recovery folks have experience prolonging the life of your pseudo cadaver scent? Just purchased some to do some imprinting, and it is not cheap! Any tips or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

K9 Liesl vom Wildhaus - RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Crowned Member

Are you in contact with Shane(Heist's owner?)
He has been doing HR for awhile, could mentor (from afar) you I'm sure!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

No, but I'll get with Chris and touch base. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 09:36 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Why are you using pseudo?

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 09:58 PM
Crowned Member

Off topic but how are Shane and Heist? I was just wondering about him and Shane the other day.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Using pseudo b/c it's easy, legal, safe, and I feel I can get some good imprinting done at home while building a good focused response in between training with the SAR team.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 11:46 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

The best thing you can do with that stuff is toss it!

Even if you accept the premise that the components are in a blend that "matches" HR scent (which is debatable) the moment you open it the components will volatalize at different rates and the proportion is gone out the window. Maybe no problem for a one time use but then you are stuck with the chemicals.

With real source training materials the odor is constantly being generated by some level of decomposition.

You would be better served to get adult teeth with roots and tissue from a dentist, Legally obtained bones from the bone room or skulls unlimited (I like vertebrae because of the spongy "marrow") and start trying build some legally obtained training aids through team contacts. As much as I hate training with blood, it is a better aid than pseudo and easy to come by. Avoid hair and baby teeth.

I used this stuff on my first dog (before Grim) but I kept seeing highly trained cadaver dogs completely ignore the odor of pseudo unless they had actually been trained specifically on it. If anything the odor is components of generic decomp (cadaverine, putrescine) not that of HUMAN decomp. I can't think of one certifying agency that will let you use it to test, even though it has not been disallowed (yet) in Court.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 06-07-2013 at 11:55 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
The best thing you can do with that stuff is toss it!

Even if you accept the premise that the components are in a blend that "matches" HR scent (which is debatable) the moment you open it the components will volatalize at different rates and the proportion is gone out the window. Maybe no problem for a one time use but then you are stuck with the chemicals.

Totally agree with Nancy. We never use anything but the "real stuff".
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the great feedback. I guess that will be the last pseudo I have to buy .

I'll start talking to my team and see what my options are here.

Thanks!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 08:48 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

While you are waiting-perfectly legal. These bones are cleaned but they still work.

Search & Rescue Dog Cadaver Real Human Bones (Homo sapiens) | WSHN-99

The Bone Room

Don't pay for teeth-easy enough to get...I know some don't like them and I would not use anything exclusively. The best training aids have bone and tissue, IMO and that is harder to come by.

The prices have gone up. The boneroom bones seem to be older than skulls unlimited but that should not matter. Another thing I like about vertebrae is you can easily manage them without touching them and secure them with a tent peg all through the hole for the spinal cord. I will use a peice of wire to pick them up and throw them with my eyes closed. About the best way I can make my own sort of blind problems.

I preferred individual bones to collections but you can call them and tell them you want for SAR dog training.

Ribs are good because they tend to be cheap (call and ask about getting some broken ribs as they break easy), not something that someone would see and think it is a "human bone" if you break it short enough**, and you can break one rib up into lots of smaller peices.

You definitely do need to have your team set you up with full spectrum though or get frequent access to all odor sources.

**well, you can tell the difference with a trained eye based on bone cross section but the average person would not.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 06-09-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page