HRD - Offer - Homicide Places - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Banned

HRD - Offer - Homicide Places

I got an offer today, to take my dogs to Homicide places to expose them to the full spectrum, after they have been cleared, etc.

I know it's been talked about before. The guy who offered it, has tons of contacts to the police and works with the State Police, adopted dogs out to them etc.

Any thoughts from the more savy HRD people on that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 10:53 PM

I just started working on imprinting, but isn't that a great opportunity? Assuming scent is still present, it would be great to have the chance to get the dog out to lots of different locations. Plus the more real situations you get to see, the more experience you will have to draw upon during the real deal, IMHO.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

K9 Liesl vom Wildhaus - RIP
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 05:45 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

That is a good opportunity. I have driven hours to get access to full body HR, but are you training for HR now or are you training live. If a live dog I would only go to "fresh" HR like you may find on a search and not complicate things.

But, "after cleared" means (around here) after crime scene has processed the area and , picked up everything noticeable, and you are working with soil or other area that has been soaked with fluids and not full body (which is why so many people pay to go to seminars at places like the FOREST). Well, that is good, particularly because it gives experience with a large odor source, but not = full body.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Indra is live find. MaDeuce is HRD. Luckily I have a good amount of source to work her.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Crowned Member

Nancy is correct. "grave dirt" and what you are describing is NOT a viable training aid. It is residual as well as animal urine,human urine,etc etc etc. one does not know what else is there
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Okay, that's what I thought. Once the body is gone, it's basically not a good idea for a new dog like MaDeuce. That also gives me a hint on how much experience the person, who offered it to me, really has.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Crowned Member

Well the problem is with a large number of civilians doing this is they have never seen a body in their lives and are operating off of bad information and urban legend. I see this all of the time in my seminars and it is not just regional. I know folks who train on "grave dirt". They scrape off the top after the HR has been removed. They have never seen a real one and what the indigineous wildlife and enviornment has done to it. Like folks that think an "aggressive" alert dog is going to ruin a crime scene. Right. I have had to run critters off of a body. What is an HRD dog's paw going to do? Silly ON top of the fact that if I cannot read my dog enough to know a heck of a long time before he alerts that he is working odor and pull him off when he finds it there is a problem. Had my dog hammering a scratch box on Sunday and actually had someone ask if I allowed that on a crime scene. Right. Bottom line is that NEVER train and reward your dog on anything unless you know EXACTLY what it is. Something from the woods is not a viable aid
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Yeah, the good thing volunteering with a Squad is that I've seen bodies. However, right now, I can't volunteer with a Squad anymore because of the distance and finances and I know enough about training dogs and have thankfully enough common sense to not buy into the myths and legends and if I'm not sure about something, I know that at least two very knowledgeable people from the HRD world are right here on the Forum.

Sadly, in our area are not a lot of good people. Just like that guy who wanted me to come out with MaDeuce on an actual search, AFTER I had told him that she's not ready. "We can always take her on a walk and see if she hits on something."

**** NO! I am not going to get involved in any of that and will stay as far away as possible from people like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page