Cadaver dog question. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Cadaver dog question.

I was watching on show on Netflix, where a person was murdered in a Mall by being pushed over a second story railing. the body then went missing, and the police brought in Cadaver dogs to find it. They searched the whole mall except a pet shop, saying that the animal scent in the pet shop would be too overwhelming for the dogs, so they would not be able to find the body in there anyways (of course, the body was hidden in the pet shop).

So aside the usual implausible TV murder scenarios, the show brought up two questions:

Is it true that the animal scent in a pet shop would over-power a scenting dog's ability to find something as large as a human body (my guess is no), and two,

Would you use a Cadaver dog to find the body of a person dead for less than 24 hours? (Person would have been dead less than 12 hrs when the body went missing).

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 10:11 AM
Crowned Member

Interesting question. I am curious to see the responses.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 11:17 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Can't find a body because of dog odors
No that is absolutely silly. The dogs can pick out the human decomp odor.

One of my most fun problems a friend set up was to hide a small training aid in a chicken house with chickens and turkeys and ducks all flapping about [it was an open barn in fenced area....but hundreds of birds and an odor to match]...no problem at all.

That was a small training aid, not a whole human body. We have done all kinds of crazy things to mask the odor. Burn it, cover it with lime, put a small sample near animal decomp [that sample can get cross contaminated with animal odors though so not something you would reuse down the line], place in odiferous places with gasoline odors, spice odors, mulch piles, etc.

Less than 12 hours?
Sure. Grim pinpointed a body in a lake that had been down for all of 3 hours. 75 feet down. The flies that lay eggs on bodies can actually discern when death is imminent and can start gathering around openings like nose and mouth even before death.

You figure they want FEMA dogs to ignore the recently deceased in a disaster. They would not be much use if they were finding fresh bodies and I have heard anecdotal that they too can differentiate stressed from alive from dead but I have nothing to quantify that one.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

LOL, the first part - I thought that was bogus, but the second part, about Cadaver dogs finding people even when death has been very recent, how interesting!

I'm blown away with that find Grim did in a lake? Humbles me when I think of our dogs' abilities and capabilities compared to our own.

Thanks for the answer, I was hoping you would post, Nancy.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Crowned Member

First one is no. We proof off of animal remains. It would have no bearing. Secondly humans begin decomposition process immediately. More importantly is that the dog is trained on the full spectrum of HR. very recent all the way to disarticulated bone and all ammounts.. If that is done the dog is fully operational.dogs not trained on all types will have problems in certain scenarios.

Last edited by ladylaw203; 03-23-2013 at 02:14 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 02:30 PM
Crowned Member

A lady that comes to our place for lure coursing also trains one of her dogs for HRD. I asked if she could do a demo for me and she said sure! She gave me the small vial with the 'specimen' and told me to hide it someplace difficult. I put the vial up in the engine of our old tractor. I put it right by the place where the engine leaks oil and gasoline. The dog had no problem finding it.

If was so cool to watch the dog work the area. I could tell when she caught a whiff of the HR and watched her as she 'followed' the scent (the air trail, I guess you'd call it) back to the tractor and then right to the place where I put the vial.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 11:57 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
I was watching on show on Netflix, where a person was murdered in a Mall by being pushed over a second story railing. the body then went missing, and the police brought in Cadaver dogs to find it. They searched the whole mall except a pet shop, saying that the animal scent in the pet shop would be too overwhelming for the dogs, so they would not be able to find the body in there anyways (of course, the body was hidden in the pet shop).

So aside the usual implausible TV murder scenarios, the show brought up two questions:

Is it true that the animal scent in a pet shop would over-power a scenting dog's ability to find something as large as a human body (my guess is no), and two,

Would you use a Cadaver dog to find the body of a person dead for less than 24 hours? (Person would have been dead less than 12 hrs when the body went missing).
You use a scent to train in cadaver dogs nothing that smells like food or treats. And a dog in training is even took to a pet store with all these smells going on with what they are suppose to be looking for, hidden.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 12:01 AM
Knighted Member

That can go with training a lot of different things too, I could tell you a really funny story I heard one time when it comes to training smells.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 06:54 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Harmony, you train with human remains.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page