Synthetic Decompesition - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Synthetic Decompesition

I am just watching Alpha Dogs (I know this already has a topic but this is about SAR/HRD) and they just said that they start training their Cadaver dogs with Synthetic Decompesition sources on the Boxes.

I know this has been discussed before and people generally are not impressed with Synthetic Decomposition so how do you feel about these dogs that are trained on Synthetic Sources?

How is the transition from Synthetic stuff to Real Sources?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 05:55 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Since I don't know anyone who trains that way, I can't say how the transition is.

Grim had some exposure to it before I got him but I was concerned he would hit on any decomp and did a lot of proofing off of animals -- he actually did hit on animal decomp early in our training and I had to "cancel it out" with a good bit of proofing. Beau has never smelled the stuff and he has never indicated on animal remains..

It has held up in courts, though. It is a non specific odor and as soon as it has been used once (a lot of folks reuse it because of expense) the relative composition of the consituent odors change because they are volatile. It is not allowed to be used for most (if any?) of the certification tests though. With real HR the source is constantly generating new odor. Pseudo is not source, it is just volatile chemicals that release the odor when the sealed vial is snapped and air gets to it. To me that would be like training on residual odor which is something I won'd do either.

It is quite possible they train on "real thing" and use the vial to stifle conversations with the people doing the show because viewers may find it offensive.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 03-19-2013 at 05:57 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 09:08 AM
Elite Member

I don't know anyone that uses the synthetic HR stuff either. All we ever use for training/certification is the real stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
It is quite possible they train on "real thing" and use the vial to stifle conversations with the people doing the show because viewers may find it offensive.
Didn't even consider this...quite possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 09:27 AM
Crowned Member

Psuedo is worthless. Cadaverine and putrecine in an alcohol carrier. both of those volatiles are also produced by decomposing animals. Also there is the threshold issue. The stuff is overpriced and worthless. Back in the day it probably sounded like a good deal. there are only a few volatiles unique to human decomposition. To train on common odors is silly. Also, I would not pay a lot of attention to what goes on with that TV show. It is not representative of all police and military trainers.................
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoBlue View Post
I don't know anyone that uses the synthetic HR stuff either. All we ever use for training/certification is the real stuff.

Didn't even consider this...quite possible.
Not, sure if that is the case, in the end they brought out a human foot and placed it somewhere in the woods. That being said, that little Spaniel was awesome. But they had no issues in showing that foot or to make fun of the guy who was a little squeamish around it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page