opinions please (: - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

opinions please (:

Good evening,
I am in the process of searching for a german shepherd puppy for SAR. I used to have a dog that was in training for it (a border collie/siberian husky) but she was EXTREMELY stubborn, and also had some "issues" that caused her to not succeed at becoming a SAR dog. I actually had to rehome her, because she was not getting along well with my other dogs. I am a certified dog trainer, and my boyfriend and I have 5 coonhounds and 1 border collie. I also have a german shepherd, but he lives at my grandparents and is their guard dog. I DID have another dog, but my parents adopted her when I moved out of their house, and I don't think they plan on ever giving her back haha. I have trained one of our coonhounds how to track and trail (a raccoon), as well as how to alert (tree) when he finds one. I have also trained my border collie in agility, where he already has a title in AKC. He was also a certified therapy dog for awhile, until we were too busy to be able to make regular visits. I hope to one day become a cop in a K9 unit (I am in school now majoring in Criminal Justice). I want to get back into SAR though, and want to get a german shepherd puppy for it. I have been looking into different lines, and I REALLY want a pup with german lines. However, I have been seeing a lot about DDR and Czech line german shepherds too. I am not sure what line/lines are best for SAR GSD's, and which aren't. I want to make sure I do ALL my research before selecting a puppy, but would like some help. Any suggestions anyone??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 04:33 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

First off, are you on a team? My recommendation is to get on the team, get active as there is a lot of non-dog stuff to get through first and that will help open contacts for getting a good dog .......... Depending on where you are, some teams won't even let you bring a dog onto the team for up to a year or more.............

I think most of the good breeders of dogs you would want to do SAR are going to want some knowledge that their puppy is likely to reach the training goals.....Border Collies often make good SAR dogs...may be good to get on a team, do some training on the collie so you can make your mistakes there, then when you are ready, get the GSD pup.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

I was with my other dog, and did trainings and stuff with her. I have been talking with the team leaders lately, and am going to be meeting up and training with them again here soon. I would put my border collie into it, but he is almost 6 years old, and his focus is on Agility. I am not planning on picking up a GSD pup until this fall or winter, but trying to get an idea beforehand. I have been researching breeders in the US that have dogs they breed for SAR, just wondering bloodlines wise which lines are the best for SAR work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 04:59 PM
Elite Member

Where are you located?

I, personally, wouldn't go with 100% DDR--you'll probably want a bit higher prey drive than those lines typically bring. Otherwise, all the European bloodlines can and have produced awesome SAR dogs.

Christine

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Pennsylvania. And ok thank you!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 06:52 PM
Crowned Member

I know of a female that has high tracking skills, strong hunt search , very quick and agile -- being let go because friend has health issue which is taking her out of dogs for a long stretch so she can take care of herself . Your household seems to have a lot of dogs -- that is going to be a difficulty in finding a dog suitable and for housing the dog , especially a young dog that may itself become too doggy .

Carmen

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 08:39 PM
Elite Member

I sent you a forum PM.

Christine

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Replied to your PM, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page