Made it into the WCU Level 2 Cadaver Workshop - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Made it into the WCU Level 2 Cadaver Workshop

you would not believe how fast these seminars fill up.

Level 1 was almost full 7 minutes out and Level 2 was half full!

Western Carolina University - Cadaver Dog Training

Wish I could afford the bone ID workshop add on but by the time you add gasoline and hotel room it all adds up big time.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 01:59 PM
Elite Member

Wow--grats! I've heard great things about these workshops.

Christine

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

They are very popular - Level 1 is already full and registration opened 40 minutes ago. With Level 2 they gave priority to handlers who have already taken Level 1 then open it to handlers who are taking Level 1 the previous week. Grim and I took the first class ever offered. Beau is going in at Level 2 but that is ok (I verified-based on him being certified etc.)

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 02:51 PM
Elite Member

I have a friend that was down there not too long ago for the workshop. Said it was excellent.

We just started our HR training - using the Randy Hare method, so far so good . Will be a while before we attend workshops.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

When Beau was a pup I talked with Lisa Higgins about taking him to the Level 1 and she suggested waiting and getting down everything else first. Said three days of this can be overwhelming when they are just starting and young.

He is 19 months now and certified NAPWDA in October so he is probably ready. My main challenge will be 'no good place to run him' as he is a wild child.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 08:06 PM

Sounds like a very interesting class! I'm guessing its an Ag school and have a lot of animal remains?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

No it is Western Carolina University's forensic osteology program and they study decomposition of human remains in an outdoor facility. My dog is trained to locate human remains but it is not easy to have access to actual full body human remains because when they are found during a search the area is secured as a possible crime scene.

They are very careful with the facility and treat the human remains in the enclosure with the utmost respect but they have a fenced in area with donated bodies in various states of decomposition. The dogs are allowed to find the enclosure themselves through the woods then are put on lead to enter the enclosure and locate one or more bodies.

It is an excellent program - a lot of classroom training as well as field work with the dogs. One challenge most civilian k9 handlers have is we have access to very small amounts of human remains and it is important to train the dogs with the whole spectrum of odor as well as complete human sources. It is true that a dog ONLY trained on a few ounces of something may miss 100lbs of the same substance because they are overwhelmed by the odor and don't know how to process it / pinpoint the source.

They do have a number of dead animals to use as distracters though. We had to work past several dead animals: black bear, some chickens, pigs, and some other dead animals to get to the fence containing the human remains.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime

Last edited by NancyJ; 02-27-2013 at 08:54 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 03:32 PM
Crowned Member

Just to clarify for those in the room not familiar with HRD. The reason exposure to a realistic amount is necessary is that the dog trained on small amounts has a threshold issue. Meaning that the dog will locate the amount of odor that he is trained to find. He will not necessarily recognize the realistic amounts as the target odor because amounts have their own scent signature. Thresholds must be low to high and everything inbetween. Various examples of different ages must be trained on as well.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 03:36 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Congrats, Nancy! Friend with Heist from our H litter did the Level 1 last year and said it was fabulous. He was also lucky enough to get one of the elusive Level 2 spots for this year. Hope you guys have a lot of fun!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

No congrats needed - entry is not competitive unless you count speed of computer entry when the event opens! Looking forward to meeting your friend and your dog!

Yes, as Renee mentioned this is a very important opportunity for those of us who have limited exposure to large training sources. And to whole body sources. Even if everyone we know combined our training aids to have the same quantity as a human body, it is not "the same thing" - and seasonal variations in the decay process also impact odor and they have a lot of that.

It is a very popular event because of the unique opportunity. Folks come in from all over the country. It is neat for me that it is in Cullowhee because I got my MS degree there.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page