New member looking to do SAR in NC - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

New member looking to do SAR in NC

Hey gang! New member to the site. Just posted my intro here :https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ml#post3061706

I am a former Volunteer Firefighter and since i moved to NC a few years ago i haven't had any opportunities to join a local FD because i live either in a Paid dept. district or live to far away from the firehouse to respond and actually make a truck in time. Anyway we did some very light SAR rescue work but it was always something that intrigued me, and being a big dog lover and having worked with them in the past, K9 SAR really sparks my interest.

There are 2 groups it looks like it my area. One i've heard back from and might be able to meet up with and see if they'll take me under their wing, and the other i haven't heard much from at all. We have our current dog Dakota who's just a domestic pet and family member. I wanted to get another dog about when she turns 3-4 (currently she turned 3 last month) to keep her young as i had great success with that approach in my previous dogs.
So i started looking into the SAR thing as we're about 7 months out from buying our next dog and i'm glad i did. This will give me plenty of time to start training on my own with a group that i can hopefully get in and work on MY training so i'm more prepared and focused when it comes time to do work with the dog and train the dog. I'm looking heavily into GSD's more and more for some reasons i mentioned in my intro post.

I've always gotten dogs from rescues except my first as my relative was a breeder and had an extra dog at the time that we took. I'm big supporter and beliver in helping rescue dogs but if i really want to do K9 SAR i'm leaning towards a breeder, espescially with the issues ive read with GSD hips and such. This forum turned me on to Ak9 dogs (policedogs.us) as a good breeder and they do look great. I'll start researching breeders i think in a month or two.

I know i have the comitment and deteremination to do the task as my years in the FD have instilled in me i just want to make sure i don't mess up and learn as much as i can. I used to do obedience shows with my goldens but talk about a docile/easy breed. I also got a little lax with my current dog, but shes not bad in any sense and just needs a little reinforcement and she'll be a star. I don't plan to compete anymore in that area but i like having the ability to have an idea on how to work with a dog.

GSD's seem like they love to work and train so it should be a lot of fun. This post is a little long and not many questions but i just wanted to introduce myself to this part of the board and please feel free to ask away or provide any guidance to getting into SAR. I'm sure i'll have more questions at some point!! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

You may want to check out this event ...... it may be a good place to make connections. Also contact Gordon Deno, Wilson Emergency Mgmt. I think he is no longer doing SAR but he probably knows what is going on in that neck of the woods..He had a lot of experience with this and as a county emergency manager......

March 20-24 Western NC Sar Excercise it is free and you register at the bottom of the page. Our team is planning to bring some folks up on Saturday of this event. It would be a good intro I think. NC Emergency Management has tons of free training opportunities

Ak9 is one option but I have not seen any of their dogs doing SAR. Selection for hunt drive is not as critical I think, even for dual purpose dogs as for SAR dogs and an edgy temperament cannot be tolerated. Not saying anything bad; they are simply an unknown factor. Christine Kemper at Blackthorn has placed a number of SAR dogs. My breeder, Kathy Holbert (Chiodo) has no litters planned soon, I actually know a fellow in Greenville who has started breeding (Ironworks) and may have some good options - I think they are getting some dogs/mentoring from Loganhaus (also has good, abliet expensive, dogs). Also Johnsonhaus - well known good dogs, but I don't know any in SAR. But I would get all the ground stuff done first.

Training Registration System - Welcome Page

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 02-26-2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: EDIT-was thinking Franklin, not Franklinton
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Awesome, thanks for the great info! Yea Ak9 was just the best one i've come across and am by no means going in any one direction yet for a breeder, just figuring out which ones will be worth spending the time looking into and researching, so the info there is definitley appreciated!
And i definitley agree with getting all the ground stuf done first as well, sorta glad i decided to look into this well ahead of getting the dog so i can work on that end first. The two groups up here are big on NASAR so i went ahead and ordered the ISAR book to start studying and getting aquainted with.

Thanks for the event info as well, again i really appreciate all the info and advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 04:42 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

The NASAR national conference is in Myrtle Beach this year too -- may want to check it out. I am only going if I can't get into the WCU Advanced cadaver class [cant do them all]

I don't know many over your way anymore. I know Mack Morgan is still running NCCERT. The "Reds" team-not sure? I think BSAR may be winding down since Christy retired from SAR? Gordon probably does know all the players over there and is a good guy. Anyway most SAR teams are notorious about not checking emails so you may want to pick up a phone and be persistant.

The average inquiry is someone with a dog who "likes to smell" and someone with fire, ems, police backgrounds usually get a little more attention.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Yea NCCERT is the one that actually got back to me and i spoke with Jack thorpe on the phone back in november. I just hate to bug the **** out of people as well. I'll give him a call back in the next day or so again. Thanks for the tip!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

That would be a good choice. I have not seen them work for a number of years but I believe they hold to high standards. Mack used to breed GSDs as well so he probably knows what is good around you.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Success! I got a hold of NCCERT and it looks like i'm going to meet up with them at their march training session in about 2-3 weeks. Can't wait!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page