How to proceed from here? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Banned

How to proceed from here?

My k9 team is defaulting. So far I've been training with another team but they are a very reputable, active team, training is not as much as I want it to be. It's 3 times per month, that's it, since I have no one out here to work with at all, plus it's a very long drive both ways. 3 times per month, just doesn't cut it.

We got so far. Have the first out of five certifications. She hasn't had training in four weeks (yet again)...

Is it better to call it quits? It's exhausting, it is really exhausting not to know what to do, where to go, how to work through it, driving long hours and not make any progress because the training is just not enough.

I love SAR. I really love SAR, I don't want to quit but when I look at the time that went into the dog... almost two years, if I had to put the same time into Schutzhund Training we'd already have the title and gear towards the SchH2.

It's so darn frustrating and I think I just can't do it any longer. Not the way it is. It's a constant fight and if you don't have the support you need, not the people to work with and you yourself are relatively new.

How would you go from here if it was you that was in the position?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 05:06 PM
Banned

Welcome to the states?

Lol...its hard enough to find people that do the regular stuff with their dogs, like trialing in obedience and rally or possibly agility. The less popular dog sports are so much about proximity. I've heard Schutzhund is much much bigger in the south than it is in the north, I know in Wisconsin most clubs are in very rural areas that are quite a distance from the bigger cities. The clubs in Chicago I've heard about are pretty costly as space there is much more expensive.

Something like SAR...I can't even imagine. Especially in a small town like yours. It sounds like you're the most enthusiastic person in your are about this sport. It will make it tough for you to train because most people aren't that enthusiastic, or just can't give as much time to training as you can. I myself have trouble training for things that are hard to title in. I want to see the "fruits of my labor" and training for something that might never be called upon would be difficult. I've been trying to start training, but getting into an AKC tracking trial is so hard that it's very off-putting for me.

I don't think I'd give you the advice to stop. You're extremely passionate about this and you should try to get something together. From what I remember about your area it might be very hard to, but try to network with people that have dogs that are known to be successful at SAR and try to impose some of your passion on them. But always be mindful of people's time and how they want to spend it. I can tell you this, I love my dog and I love training him, but even I can't deal with day long training sessions, there is just other stuff to do out there.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
My k9 team is defaulting. So far I've been training with another team but they are a very reputable, active team, training is not as much as I want it to be. It's 3 times per month, that's it, since I have no one out here to work with at all, plus it's a very long drive both ways. 3 times per month, just doesn't cut it.

We got so far. Have the first out of five certifications. She hasn't had training in four weeks (yet again)...

Is it better to call it quits? It's exhausting, it is really exhausting not to know what to do, where to go, how to work through it, driving long hours and not make any progress because the training is just not enough.

I love SAR. I really love SAR, I don't want to quit but when I look at the time that went into the dog... almost two years, if I had to put the same time into Schutzhund Training we'd already have the title and gear towards the SchH2.

It's so darn frustrating and I think I just can't do it any longer. Not the way it is. It's a constant fight and if you don't have the support you need, not the people to work with and you yourself are relatively new.

How would you go from here if it was you that was in the position?
Where (approximately) are you located?
Maybe you can get together with a couple of the team members and work in the "off" time?

As far as what I would do? Um, we won't go there, I'm not exactly normal. I was driving 3 hrs one way (many years ago)till I found a team closer. I wouldn't expect a sane person to do that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
Welcome to the states?
Please dont bash my country.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof_Terrorist View Post
Please dont bash my country.
I am pretty sure that was not the intent. The point was working dog clubs are few and far between here. Good SAR teams are far fewer. The difficulty in finding someone to work with here is much more challenging than in many other countries.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra2167 View Post
Where (approximately) are you located?
Maybe you can get together with a couple of the team members and work in the "off" time?

As far as what I would do? Um, we won't go there, I'm not exactly normal. I was driving 3 hrs one way (many years ago)till I found a team closer. I wouldn't expect a sane person to do that
Yeah, I'm already doing that. It's up to a four hour drive there and back. They have training three times a month but I can't possibly do that outside the training. It's an eight hour drive, now with School and the Rescue Squad it's impossible to put that on top of that.

We've been trying to start something here for the past two years. Most people are just don't have the commitment. They come out once, come out twice and that's it.

It's a very rural area, either they don't have the time, or not the means.
It's getting to the point where I am seriously considering to quit K9 and continue as a Grid Searcher but it just doesn't make any sense to continue with something because one thing I don't want and that is to do it for five years and still not being certified and every SAR K9 handler knows that training, three times a month, just doesn't cut it. At least not when you want to do be a sucky amateur and right now, that's exactly whats going on.

We started the certification process and should be out there at least every second day, instead we have not had any kind of training for more than four weeks.
I have to face the truth. It's not going to happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page