Working K-9 Has anyone taken these courses? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Working K-9 Has anyone taken these courses?

I was wondering if anyone on here has taken these online courses at this website, Paws of Life Foundation if you look to the right there is a box with a link to Working K-9 Handler Academy online courses.

I am training with my puppy once a week right now but these seem like interesting courses! Any feed back would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 12:18 AM
Crowned Member

Usually I pay as much attention to online dog training courses as to online swimming courses, but these ones sound like nice modules to improve knowledge of related important areas and prices are reasonable. Interesting.

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

Yes! The first course is the Intro course and I got an email today that I have to contact the California Rescue Dog Association, as there is a whole process as far as training goes. It sounds interesting and for $40 and through Iowa State University even more so!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

PoL Foundation - Library the library is full of good reading!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 07:13 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I don't know anything about their online training and looks like basic stuff so far (imagine it would have to be since you really need hands on for actual work with the dog) but they have amassed a very nice library of links and articles on their site......
So does CARDA endorse the courses? You will have to give us a critique.

Will have to bookmark this one though.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 07:59 AM

Please be aware that if you are looking at these courses for informational purposes only, they will be fine. However, if you are with a SAR team, or considering joining a legitimate one, and looking at these courses for the required prerequisites, they likely will not count.
Spend a month training with a good SAR team and you will have ISAR covered. The crime scene preservation, in order to be valid, has to be given by a POST instructor, and has a field practical component.
Blood-borne pathogens you can usually pick up for free (or close) at a rescue squad or FD. Also many places require the classroom component.
Search strategy - pick up a copy of Syrotuck's book, and get with a good SAR team.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page