This is so true...long read but worth every minute - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

This is so true...long read but worth every minute

Missing Autistic Child Spawns Virginia's Largest Manhunt - Page 1 | Survival | OutsideOnline.com

I just kept going yep, yep, yep.....this writer captured search and rescue in a real way. And most are over fast with good planning and resources but sometimes you can chalk it up to whatever, but we pray at these things.

I just teared up when I read it because it's like that. And a lot of times what finds em is just someone at the right place in the right time and whatever power you want to ascribe it to.

This reminded me of our recent search for a two year old where he was ultimately found asleep on a log over a river by a DNR fellow in a kayak or the one where a teammate found a boyscout with her dog on his first search. Right place right time and things just coming together.........

We were not involved in this search but this article can take you there. With so much autism it is also good information. We use Koester's book, too....realizing that there is statistics and then there is "what the heck?""he went how far?!?" etc.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 05:08 PM

Very cool read, thanks for sharing!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 05:17 PM
Master Member

i live in virginia and remember when it happend. It was so sad and i was shocked a happy ending came out of it! I wish they all could end this way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 05:44 PM
Crowned Member

Thanks for sharing this.Even though i knew the story ended well I still felt anxious reading the process. Thanks to all who go out and do this and bring all the those lost people home.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 05:45 PM
Knighted Member

Wow, what a great story. It gave me shivers. I guess you don't realy think about missing people that may not really understand that they are missing and will hide from their searchers. The statistic about missing autistic children and drownings were eye opening.
It really is amazing the amount of time and training that goes into SAR!

Bear GSD 10/16/11
Elsa GSD 12/23/03 - 11/10/11
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

These autistic kids defy everything we know about children. Time and time again their brains just work differently. There are similar issues with dementia patients as well.....and one of the problems with both is that sometimes parents (or children) don't want to admit that (a) they have a child with autism or (b) dad really should NOT have been allowed to stay in his home unsupervised and has already wandered off several times before.

God forbid if something like this happens.and you have a family member with some impariment....be up front....any information can help steer a search to a successful outcome. There is a lot of planning on a good search (and sometimes a lot of luck).

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 09:16 PM
Knighted Member

My thoughts exactly. This is his father? He didn't think about watching the child closer? COME ON. The father needs to be slapped hard.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Oh gosh, these kids can disappear with a bunch of adults watching them. MY daughter has zero autism and was an escape artist at 3 years old.......I can only imagine what it is like being a parent of a child with this condition.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 10:26 AM

Thanks for posting! Quite an interesting read. We work with some handlers from a GA team occasionally that has access to autistic people to train with. Most aren't that lucky! Not surprising they waited so long to call in the searchers, but certainly frustrating. How many resources and how much time could have been saved with an early call in of a good tracking dog, or a scent discriminating area search dog? The main thing is he was found alive, and is well.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Knighted Member

What a gripping and educational read. It was gripping because of the well being of the boy and all those involved in the search. It was educational in the sense that it gives us a deeper insight to all that is involved in a search on any level but especially on the level this one was on.

Praise to all who gave their time to help and glory to the boy making it out alive!

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page