Distractions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Distractions

So as you may have read in previous threads, titan, my 2 y/o GSD is progressing very very well. We do a small controled search in the beginning of training and move to a larger search area in the woods after he rests. Well now that we are in the woods there are many more distractions. He is good with almost all of them.. will perk up at a squirrel/animal/etc, but if I am paying attention, which is all the time, and I catch him in time and say "leave it" he will and no problems. Yesterday he did something that I wasn't sure how to take. He took off in the middle of our search to play in the stream. Now it was hot. He had water a good few times. But I know he loves loves loves water. I calle dhim back and he came and continued the search and within minutes had a find. Should I be worried about this? What are some things I can do to help him not get so distracted. My team has of course suggested things and they are wonderful, just wondering what some of you might have to say.

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 08:59 AM
Banned

i don't do SAR. if my dog was distracted by a stream i would
train near the stream often (leashed and unleashed). thanks
for doing SAR.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Crowned Member

Well,my first question is was the dog playing or cooling off? I have dogs that will take the opportunity to cool off then go back to work. I have no problem with that unless we are in an area with alligators.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 08:57 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Maybe he needs to have training a little more mixed up so he never knows whether he will have a quick find or have to work for it.

A little break is fine if the dog is hot. I would do some obedience around water and some short problems same way. I have had some though where I thought the dog was playing in the water when he was really getting scent there so be careful with the set-ups. Scent does strange things around water.

I would freak out if we were anywhere in Florida and my dog was going into the water through.. [I grew up on Merritt Island though and had too many HS friends loose their dogs to gators]

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
i don't do SAR. if my dog was distracted by a stream i would
train near the stream often (leashed and unleashed). thanks
for doing SAR.
That sounds like a good idea to me too and you are welcome, though we are not certified yet.. working on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylaw203 View Post
Well,my first question is was the dog playing or cooling off? I have dogs that will take the opportunity to cool off then go back to work. I have no problem with that unless we are in an area with alligators.
I am not entirely sure to be honest. He was splashing around but I wanna say just cooling off. He's not the type to play by himself. He will always go into water when he sees it unless directed not to which I would have done if I anticipated that but for whatever reason I didn't think we were close enough to worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Maybe he needs to have training a little more mixed up so he never knows whether he will have a quick find or have to work for it.

A little break is fine if the dog is hot. I would do some obedience around water and some short problems same way. I have had some though where I thought the dog was playing in the water when he was really getting scent there so be careful with the set-ups. Scent does strange things around water.

I would freak out if we were anywhere in Florida and my dog was going into the water through.. [I grew up on Merritt Island though and had too many HS friends loose their dogs to gators]
He's pretty good around water if I catch him before he's in it. We usually walk by a river on our walks and he knows he's not allowed in there until I say so because I like to check for creatures.. It freaks me out when he goes into rivers here so I only let him for a minute. which I suppose is all it takes.. now that it's warming up I am a littl emore cautious and generally restrict his water access to the beach.

The stream that he was playing in wasn't big enough for gators so I wasn't worried about that. We had scoped it out earlier to make sure no snakes were in it because we caught a few a couple weeks prior swimming in there.

I think changing it up is a good idea. And too that was only his second long search he's ever done, and considering, I think he did fairly well. got slightly confused on the refind but corrected himself so all in all I was proud

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 03:01 PM
Crowned Member

If you have been allowing him to go into water any time by habit that explains it :-) he thought it was OK. Start putting some discipline on him with regard to that:-) .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page