It has begun - Certification Process - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Banned

It has begun - Certification Process

We started the K9 training in January 2011 and as of today, the certification process has begun. Just received the paperwork to be filled in from the NYSFEDSAR States K9 Coordinator so my instructor at the SAR Academy can fill it in. I sent an email to one of the Ladies from another Team (the former State's K9 Coordinator) so we can set an appointment for the first Trial which will be the Off Trail test.

I can feel the excitement already. I can't believe we are really doing it. Oh god, it's finally sinking in that we are really doing it.

And after that there is one more hurdle I have to jump. It's the ASTM Searcher I but since I passed the Academy I will pass that one too and that will give us nationally recognized credibility.

Last edited by Mrs.K; 06-04-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Crowned Member

Wow, that's great! I'm very excited for you
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Banned

It is. Especially when you think about when we actually started to train. She may not have a great food drive but she's got exceptional hunt drive and a desire to search it's unbelievable.

It's like a drug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Crowned Member

Wow, big congrats and good luck to you!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks, on June 24th we have the work capacity test. Our team adopted the capacity test for Wildland Firefighters so that ought to be interesting.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Wow, I did not even realize there were ASTM standards for SAR. We just require folks to be NASAR SAR II, which can be a hassle getting them to a test. Have fun. Will you have to do all 5 tests for Indra to be operational? I know we require a 40 acre night test and an 80-120 acre day test for operational status.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Wow, I did not even realize there were ASTM standards for SAR. We just require folks to be NASAR SAR II, which can be a hassle getting them to a test. Have fun. Will you have to do all 5 tests for Indra to be operational? I know we require a 40 acre night test and an 80-120 acre day test for operational status.
Yep, we have the ASTM Standards for NY. The DEC is testing us. The only thing why our coordinator doesn't like NASAR is because they are expensive so we are tested through the DEC.

ASTM is accepted by FEMA too.

She inured herself today and I have to pull her for about a week from training. She cracked one of her toenails pretty bad and in a weird place. She's on antibiotics and can't be worked.

It's always like that, isn't it?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
She inured herself today and I have to pull her for about a week from training. She cracked one of her toenails pretty bad and in a weird place. She's on antibiotics and can't be worked.

It's always like that, isn't it?
Yep, one week after Grim and I passed his NAPWDA HRD annual recertification, banadaging his injured foot between tests, his back goes out and he has been down ever since and now "retired" Always something......

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Well... a month later she's back in training and we've set the certification for about a month from now. We'll take the CGC the same day just so we have it. Need to update my training records and make sure nothing is missing. URGH...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 06:42 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

May it go well. So what is the first certiification test you need to do?

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page