Attention HRD handlers - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Attention HRD handlers

Dog Law Reporter: Training Cadaver Dogs on Pig Remains May Lead to Evidentiary Challenges

Here we go folks with another "study" There is just so much I am willing to get into in a public venue as to not give any defense witnesses knowledge. however. READ THIS THING

When you read any study pay attention to WHAT it is addressing. You must understand how to counter attacks on dog's credibility in court. Pay attention to the storage issue. That is true. They can attack the integrity of your training aids in court. Pay attention to the animal remains part. Articulate in logs with regard to blinds on distractors that are not recognizable as animal. When I certify dogs I throw out everything and am careful to include examples that folks will not recognize as animal. IF any of you have to go to court please contact me. I will put you in touch with folks that can advise your DA's office as to how to difuse some of this stuff. Do NOT just walk in without advice. Any questions with regard to specifics, email me privately. Oh, pig. please. I have been addressing this for years and I know of nobody training on pig here in the US. If you are,you had better stop. Lose the Psuedo too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 09:49 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I am gathering, too, that training records are becoming of much greater significance based on some recent narcotics cases and, of course, the case in FL where the records and testing were gone through with a fine tooth comb.

Thanks for sharing. Saw it on FB too. After reading the study on VOC profiles I decided we need MORE chicken distracters (I have used pig distracters regularly but chicken only once in awhile) than I would have thought. I wish there was a more systematic/standardized way to ensure we could procure good training aids...we always only use human though both fresh and large can be problematic.

I have never gone to court and hope to never go - but it is not likely on drownings I don't think - more so on shallow graves and criminal searches. But, yes, if I were to be called I would want to have mentoring from you or someone with comparable experience because the outcome of a court case can impact EVERYONE not to mention get valuable evidence thrown out.

-----------

The article referenced the FEMA curriculum though and you know since all those job descriptions and the curriculum came out I have seen precious little in the way of implementation. We put our resources into the ESF9 buckets as have most, but even the certifying agencies don't verify the curriculum has been met. The curriculum was 2006.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 04-22-2012 at 09:52 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Well, the main thing to glean from this is the possibility of one's training aid integrity being challenged and one's proofing. If one's training aids are compromised by plastic or another non target odor, the training and subsequent alert can be challenged. The secret is perpetual proofing and documentation with regard to non target odors. Will diffuse the issue. Also,the animal referrence is the Clever Hans syndrome. The study was referrencing using distractors that are easily recognizable by the handler as a negative and the possibility of the handler cueing the dog off of it. Diffuse that by using animal remains that are not easily recognizable as being animal. The blind. Document this and it will be a non issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 04:18 PM

Kanine 5.0 software is the best thing ever invented in my opinion. You have everything all in one place and the reporting functionality is awesome.

K9 Handler, NC K9 Emergency Resp. Team
Trooper, NC Highway Patrol

K9 Jonah / NCCERT Retired
K9 Bella / NCCERT HRD Land / NASAR HRD Land
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page