Darn, the bug bit... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Darn, the bug bit...

The SAR bug, that is . My nine year old daughter and I went to watch / hide for a local search and rescue group, and I had a blast. I'd really really like to join. They are looking for new members. I keep thinking of reasons that I shouldn't join (two young-ish kids, one with special needs, my job with odd hours, my husband's job with a lot of hours, I would have to get another dog since I think Frieda's dog dog reactivity would make her a wash out despite her nose and hunt drive), but I still want to take the plunge.

Am I crazy? Is there an antidote for this? I went to work at the hospital after training, and when I was cleaning up after a delivery I saw the placenta and umbilical cord and my first thought was, "Wow, those would be great for HRD training - I wish we didn't have to throw it away...."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 12:47 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I would say - get involved without the dog and see if it holds after a lot of training and some search callouts and if it does, THEN make the plunge. Which team (we do mutual aid with some of the GA teams)

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Alpha Team Search and Rescue.

Think the luster might fade after a couple of callouts at 1 am?

Last edited by Neo93; 04-13-2012 at 01:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 01:06 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

That is a very good and very professional team! We have done several cooperative searches with each other. I would discuss any concerns with them and listen to their suggestions. Luster won't fade. First time you are at a search where a kid is found alive you will be hooked for life, especially as a parent. Many kids who go missing have special needs (autism)

Some dog reactivity can be worked through and some cannot. People reactivity is a no brainer reason for dismissal though.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 04-13-2012 at 01:08 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Good to know the team has a good reputation! I was impressed as well. I talked with them briefly about Frieda, so we'll see how it goes. I need plenty of training first, though .
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 09:18 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

They know what they are doing and have good training from what I have seen. Just trust them and follow their directions and guidance, and I think you will do well. Chain of Command is very important in SAR teams and emergencies in general and one of the toughest parts with working with volunteers.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page