Life Jackets and Water Search Dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Life Jackets and Water Search Dogs

For working on the boat.

Who does it and who does not?
Do the dogs overheat in them compared to working nakid?

Do you have a type you prefer if you use them? I tried an outward hound on Beau yesterday but he had a hard time keeping his butt up with it and I know he can swim level normally.

I prefer to keep the dog on the boat but sometimes, because they are hanging off the edge....they go in unintentionally.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 08:44 AM
Elite Member

We do not use life jackets for the dogs, never have, and there has never been a problem. I do know someone that does, and I know he is happy with the life jacket he is using for his dog. I will find out what kind it is.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

I know I just tense up with the dog is on the prow of a carolina skiff in the middle of a large reservoir at night. Not the ideal boat to work from but what we have to use more often than I like. Our local SO uses the REscue Ones.

We did have one close call - as Grim has gotten older he cannot hook his back legs over the gunnels to pull himself back in a jon and the bigger boats have a step by the engine which they can kill pretty quickly, but he is retired now.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Crowned Member

I have a Rescue One connector boat. I love my boat
I have never used one on my dogs. I do however, keep them on a harness and have a line attached in the event the boat hits something,etc and the dog goes overboard. My main concern is getting him back on board ASAP due to alligators.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Well the harness IS another option......Alligators are inching their way up here and we sometimes search in the lowcountry so we don't WANT our dogs to go in the water. I guess if you can handle a harness and a line in the woods it would not be an issue on a boat. I like that. The only place to bring the dog in on those skiffs is the side which is to high for the dog to assist and the back - but I don't want my dog to swim around to the back of ANY boat.

I DO like the Rescue One...They got the Jet Engine for Diver Safety but it makes steering it precisely more of a challenge. Thing only draws 3 inches of water. But that is one department. The lakes on the GA SC border use patrol boats and our team jon boat is not up to anything but ponds and small lakes and slow moving rivers.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Crowned Member

would you believe my friends in Bryan/college station are seeing gators? not good. Especially during nesting season. mama gator has NO sense of humor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page