Beau got his first boat ride today - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Beau got his first boat ride today

The Sheriffs office Rescue 1 boat with a large Jet engine.

That sucker can MOVE. He sat between my legs on the first seat and was very calm as the driver ramped it up, did a sharp turn, and then crossed our first set of waves. Also we hit some chop. His ears were flying every which way and his lips were flapping in the wind.

He was very calm and not distressed about it at all. I have seen some dogs hit the deck and crouch first time in a boat but he was quite confident. As we were returning to shore and the baot leveled and slowed he felt comfortable walking around in the front and poking his head around.

No training - too cool for wet suits today but just an intro. We are invited to train with the dive team every other Friday (though we won't do diver/dog training that much though we can do water training same days, even if in or own team boat...we are also part of the SO dive team which they has an underwater crime scene investigation unit..so we will be helping in other ways as well).

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 10:33 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Really cool!! Beau sure is showing a lot of promise to be an excellent SAR dog. I would have loved to see that.

(gotta find me someone with a power boat and see how my dogs would do - now I'm curious).

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Beau is a love/ hate thing for me right now. Half the time I am blown away by him. The other half of the time I want to pull his ears off. I wear this dog OUT and bring him in the house and sometimes he gets this wild hair.........and 70lbs of uncontrolled mayhem in the house is not fun.

He does "turn on" though when I give the search command and seems to be able to tune out all the distractions that his little puppy personality wants to explore. He did is first shoreline problem yesterday too. The others worked it from the boat but I want a couple of boat runs first. Both of my other dogs tried to walk on water to get to source odor and I want his first time on the boat NOT to involve falling out and I want his swimming to be a little less clumsy.

He wore a life jacket yesterday and I think it worked against him because I have seen him swim before and it was level but the jacket pulled his shoulders and head too high in the water and he had to fight it to stay level. Everyone here is against life jackets because of the heat (but I don't know if they overheat the dogs or not; the dogs already have a fur coat) but when you are out in the middle of a big reservoir and the dog does slip and fall off.......it can be a challenge getting them back in depending on the boat which is often a carolina skiff..and these dogs swim low to begin with (not much fat)

Though the downside of a water search dog is we do not do recreational boat time. Boats are only for work.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page