Working Dogs question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Working Dogs question

I couldn't find a place to post this. I was just wondering...

Where do I go to find information on working dogs: who to contact for info, how to start, what training to do, etc.
Is there an association or something?
Thanks

Angela_______________________________
Danny (husband) ~ Samantha (daughter) ~
Rocco (GSD)
Lucky (cat) ~ Beauty (cat) ~ MuMu (cat)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 08:56 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

It depends on what sort of work you are interested in; search and rescue, police, personal/estate protection, herding, narcotics detection, bomb detection, bed bug detection, service/guide work, or any of the sports like tracking, obedience, agility, schutzhund, etc....

All of these are trained differently, have different organizations that govern them, different trainers and thus different contact people.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Crowned Member

It all depends. What type of work are you looking at having him do? There's all kinds of things. IPO/SchH, Protection, SAR, therapy, etc. How old is your pup and are you planning on being the handler? Or is this training to give him to an organization?

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 09:05 PM
Crowned Member

*edit*

There are a few forums on here for just that.. https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/working-dogs/ and https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-protection-sports/ would start you off.. look through some threads and ask questions. It might end up being something more to what he will be best at vs. what you want him to do. Titan had an awesome nose on him.. I got him into SAR and we are on a team and still training.

v/r,

Whitney
and
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Rocco is 5 months now. I have been thinking that he might be good for SAR because he will fetch for hours (even over eating, which he loves to do), and finds the ball everytime in the dark (sniffing).
I know they have to be evaluated. That's why I was asking. Is there a place I can contact to see about evaluating him to find out what he might be good for?
I also think he could be good for therapy work.
I have no intentions of giving him to anyone; but would like to have him do something. I believe he would really benefit from it. He is soooooo energetic and always wants to be doing something.

Rocco (GSD)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 09:50 PM
Crowned Member

SAR work was it for Titan.. he LOVED it. He can do both, SAR and therapy. A couple of our cerified SAR dogs are therapy dogs as well. I would start looking for teams in your area. Make sure they are certifying organizations. I can actually as our team lead if he knows of any in your area, I'm sure he would be willing to help in that aspect, I can PM you some information if you want. You are in a really good location for a lot of sports too. Kind of jealous, I wanted to get my Athena into IPO/SchH and there are a lot of clubs in your area.

v/r,

Whitney
and
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
SAR work was it for Titan.. he LOVED it. He can do both, SAR and therapy. A couple of our cerified SAR dogs are therapy dogs as well. I would start looking for teams in your area. Make sure they are certifying organizations. I can actually as our team lead if he knows of any in your area, I'm sure he would be willing to help in that aspect, I can PM you some information if you want. You are in a really good location for a lot of sports too. Kind of jealous, I wanted to get my Athena into IPO/SchH and there are a lot of clubs in your area.
Yes. PM me. How do I find teams? And what clubs do you know of in my area?
Thanks.

Rocco (GSD)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 10:18 PM
Crowned Member

Will do..

v/r,

Whitney
and
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 11:12 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

The big thing about SAR is it is a way of life if you are on a team. Huge committment and must be able to take time off of work when needed for a callout which always comes at a most inconvenient time.

The dog is just a small part of the picture. Actually there is a FEMA Disaster team down there - Miami Dade. I am not sure what local wilderness teams there may be. A consideration is the very real risks of gators and snakes down there. {To you and the dog}

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 02:00 AM
Crowned Member

How about agility? It's a blast for you and your dog and it's hugely popular. It would definitely keep your dog busy.

Elaine and the herd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page