what is the ideal search and rescue dog type - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

what is the ideal search and rescue dog type

I recently gotten into a search and rescue group and my captain will be accessing my 96 lbs 1 year 6 month old GS male on March 17th. He does know his basic commands, but because of his age he is still rather playful.

I was hoping you could give me a basic idea of what is normally expected of a SAR dog. And also what is the ideal training methods and what should be stressed.

I would really appreciate feed back, Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shadow Jan 2012-2.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	15647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shadow Jan 2102-6.jpg
Views:	4070
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	15648  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Master Member

How is his hunt drive? Have you taught him to tug as a reward?

Also, for true SAR dogs, a 96lb dog would not be my first recommendation. These are dogs that could possibly have to be caried, put on skidoo's, in helicopters, etc...tight spaces suck with large dogs. Most true SAR people look for dogs who are going to be in the 50lb range, maybe 60.

Of course, nothing is stopping you from learning with this boy. If SAR is something YOU want to do, take this opportunity to learn what you and your dog need to be able to do, and what tasks may be asked of you. If you get really serious about it later on, you can find a dog that was built for it, both mentally and physically.

Gorgeous pup!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

We usually put prospects through a test using the FEMA screening guidelines. It gives an idea of the kind of testing. He *is* a big boy. Most of us do tend to like them a bit smaller for agility reasons and things like fitting in small spaces (my dog has had to ride on my lap before and in gators and ATVs etc. not to mention being on a small boat)

That said, if you can manage a dog that size, there are certainly bloodhounds who are bigger than that.......He is a handsome fellow.

There are many different ways to train a SAR dog. The ideal thing is that the team has some sort of training progression for you to follow, allows you to question them and also learn outside of the team, and has a path to certification (preferable national or state) and operational status.

http://www.disasterdog.org/pdf/train.../Screening.pdf

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

He has a wonderful hunt drive, he loves to scent, we spend hours on trailing in the woods. and no i was always taught that tug teaches aggressiveness, if however its not i would love to be corrected on that.

He is big yes, but he is very agile

Thanks for the comments, they are very helpful!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Tug is a great reward for your dog but so is ball play if he likes that. Some folks who are not used to our working GSDs have to be taught how to hold and play tug with the dogs. There is an element of fear for some folks but a dog who knows the rules of engagement is safe to play with. I think there is some good Michael Ellis videos on playing tug with your dog. Play it by ear with the team....if he would go through fire and brimstone for a ball, there ya go.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Yea, I think he is a fetch player to the death. I'm just concerned he hasn't been socialized with small animals enough, that's what has me in a panic for this tryout.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Well don't panic. They are probably looking at the underlying dog and if they see a problem area related to training would probably send you home to work on it and come back. Now if there is overt dog or human aggression, that for us is a wash. If you are talking furry critter prey drive, that is a training problem that will HAVE to be resolved in the early parts of training.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Crowned Member

What ever happened to the issue with charging at people while he was tied out? You never responded back to your thread.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

No he has zero dog and human aggression, i'm very impressed at how he acts among dogs and humans, as long as they are happy to see him, hes happy to see them. Though he does tend to mount dogs, we are working to correct that, and it has become much less frequent.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

My apologies Emoore! I would first like to clarify that he charged from excitement and never aggression. And we have since tried a harness instead of the standard collar, and it has completely changed his behavior on line and leash, we are in the process of putting in an electric fence, to get him off the leash once and for all. I agree, that i don't like the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
What ever happened to the issue with charging at people while he was tied out? You never responded back to your thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page