IRO Certification - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

IRO Certification

A short brag, because I'm about to fall asleep over the screen, so tired I am...

This last 3 days my team hold the first IRO certification in Chile and we were also the first ones to try the new rules.

Diabla is now certified as a Search dog in Urban areas, level A. tomorrow I'll come back and explain with more time and fresh neurons the details of this exciting weekend.

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 10:20 PM
Crowned Member

Congrats to you and Diabla!

Sweet dreamz!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 10:22 PM
Banned

First of all: CONGRATULATIONS! What a great success!
Secondly:
Oh yes, PLEASE DO EXPLAIN!

I want to know it all since I not only work towards NYSFEDSAR certification but also towards the IRO Certification for Area Search Dogs and possibly even Tracking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 10:34 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Congratulations.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 04:56 AM
Crowned Member

wonderful! congrats!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

We were blessed to be judged by Ruud Haak, from Netherlands, a very knowledgeable person, along with a big heart and a great sense of humor (which, if you ever know my team, you'll see is very needed ).

We started on Friday with the Urban Test, level A (RH T-A). Of ten dogs only 2 passed obedience and dexterity. It was not hard, at least not fro a SchH point of view, but many handlers, some of our own team included did not weighted the importance of training for it and thought that with a couple of months of preparation before the certification they would be ready... which is definitely not enough. I would compare it with a SchH1 in difficulty. Of those 10 dogs, 8 passed the search section, so at the end Diabla and another dog from my team got their certification.

Saturday was Area Search. Because of the heat we started with the search section in the morning, but even then we were frying under the sun, that surely affected the dogs, but it is not excuse. I confess my handling was awful and with all the limitations the test has for how the handler can move, Diabla found one of the victims despise me, not the other way... No dog passed the Area Test A (RH FL-A). A handler from Argentina brought his Mali only for the B tests and they passed the RH FL-B. That afternoon we had to repeat the obedience and dexterity (all teams have to complete all the tests, even if you know you are not going to be certified) and Diabla did just great, with the higher score of all the weekend, sadly it didn't count for nothing.

For Sunday there were only 3 dogs who could be on the Urban B test. Obedience and Dexterity started early and Diabla showed signs of being tired of doing the same for the third consecutive day and was more distracted, though still got a Very Good. The other dog of my team got disqualified, because she ran away with the gun shot, something to be expected if you knew that dog... so only Diabla and the Argentinian team went to the rubble search.

We didn't pass the B level, but I must say I am more than proud of my dog and how she worked that day. There were a lot of iron bars around and Diabla got tangled not once, but 3 times. The first time she hurt herself and felt trapped, so she jumped and yelped, but continued searching, the second time she pinched herself in the groin but said nothing, though the second time I saw her trying to lick that area I called her to check for injuries, since there were nothing I send Diabla to search again. Finally Diabla found 2 victims out of 3 and the time ended. The judge said she has picked the scent of the third one (who would have been the first one in that case) when I called Diabla to check her and maybe she would have alerted if not for me, but honestly I don't care, it is part of the game and her welfare is above any title. The other team found only one victim and didn't pass either. I honestly think that this test was hard and we do need more preparation. To pass would have been luck.

Here there are some pictures
K-SAR Chile - Noticias

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 04:50 AM
Crowned Member

I would like your permission to post your photos on my facebook. I have been explaining the IRO to some folks. This is no easy accomplishment. My Karo is titled through IRO. I have a great deal of respect for the woman in the Czech Republic that trained him for this. He still amazes me. This is something that has got to be offered in the US more frequently

I do know that the USA Schutzhund club is going to recognize the IRO title. That speaks to the difficulty.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 05:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylaw203 View Post
I would like your permission to post your photos on my facebook. I have been explaining the IRO to some folks. This is no easy accomplishment. My Karo is titled through IRO. I have a great deal of respect for the woman in the Czech Republic that trained him for this. He still amazes me. This is something that has got to be offered in the US more frequently

I do know that the USA Schutzhund club is going to recognize the IRO title. That speaks to the difficulty.
Yes they do. But didn't you know, it's just a Sport. How dare you go through a Schutzhund Club that doesn't know anything about operational SAR dogs.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylaw203 View Post

I don't own any of the photos (unless you want pics of Diabla in the crate and us in a barbecue), but I will ask to the person that took them to send me some In the meanwhile you can repost the link as much as you want, that's why I myself put only the link and no pictures in the thread.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 07:55 AM
Crowned Member

Congratulations!!! That is awesome! You should be very proud of your girl.

Carolina Johnson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page