View Poll Results: Which one is it?
Re-Find 3 50.00%
Bark&Hold at the Victim 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Banned

How many of you do the Re-Find?

I'm working on Nalas indication and it's actually coming along very well. If it wasn't for the Federation I think I'd actually go with the hold&bark at the subject just to see the differences within the training and the dogs themselves.

I was wondering if any of you does the hold&bark at the victim and how many do the re-find.

Whenever I'm talking to some German SAR People that do the hold&bark at the victim I literally have to justify myself every single time. Since it's a federation rule we don't have a choice.

Just wondering why there is such a rift between hold&bar at the victim and actual re-find...seems kind of dumb when you think about it. Both are proofed methods and both have their pro's and con's but why do you have to justify if you do one or the other?

RH Sport Participants are welcomed to answer as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I work a cadaver dog but our team does the refind.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Elite Member

In the team I was on, only the Disaster/FEMA dogs did bark at the victim. All other dogs did refind. Except trailing...obviously
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Oh - I think the answer will be colored by the type of searching you do.

No refinds on a rubble pile. Period.
Pros and cons of each in a wilderness setting and that can be influenced by terrain.
If it is a federation rule for you it is kind of a moot point.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Oh - I think the answer will be colored by the type of searching you do.

No refinds on a rubble pile. Period.
Pros and cons of each in a wilderness setting and that can be influenced by terrain.
If it is a federation rule for you it is kind of a moot point.

I've seriously came across people that would demand to see the re-find on a rubble if that is the trained response.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 08:44 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I would not touch anything other than a smal structural collapse with anything but a dog trained primarily as a disaster dog -- I think you would just do that with a wilderness dog if it was small and there was a chance someone was alive....AND you were not taking too many of your own risks....(which will limit what you put the dog on)...I would say leave the big stuff to those trained for it.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
I would not touch anything other than a smal structural collapse with anything but a dog trained primarily as a disaster dog -- I think you would just do that with a wilderness dog if it was small and there was a chance someone was alive....AND you were not taking too many of your own risks....(which will limit what you put the dog on)...I would say leave the big stuff to those trained for it.
Oh, you are right about that. I won't touch that kind of stuff. There are others, more qualified people out there for that.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 09:14 AM
Crowned Member

My Karo (IRO RH) performs a bark at the victim and will NOT leave the victim. A while back a friend hid for him and I was unaware of the fact that she went to the top of a two and a half story high pile of trees and brush. Karo climbed as far as he could,then burrowed through and popped up next to her barking. They definitely teach the dog to stay with the victim over there.
Personally, I do not do refind. I am not losing sight of my dog period so it is not necessary.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:04 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

If your victim is on a ridge and the dog catches scent from a half mile away (yes, we have had that happen) and takes off for the victim what do you do? You can't keep up at that distance-and the bell dies out and you can't hear that either. Then if they are on the ridge how do you know where they are since the sound can get wonky in the mountains?

I think both are valid widely accepted trained types of indications and one may be situationally better than the other and you should use what would be the best choice for your set of conditions.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 02:02 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
If your victim is on a ridge and the dog catches scent from a half mile away (yes, we have had that happen) and takes off for the victim what do you do? You can't keep up at that distance-and the bell dies out and you can't hear that either. Then if they are on the ridge how do you know where they are since the sound can get wonky in the mountains?

I think both are valid widely accepted trained types of indications and one may be situationally better than the other and you should use what would be the best choice for your set of conditions.

what is your point? my dog has obedience. my dogs do not "just take off" my dogs are never out of my sight nor earshot.. I do not allow it. Not in this part of the country. Same in the disaster scenario. I search hurricane debris. It is dangerous. I have directionals on my dog and solid obedience. If I see him getting toward a part of the debris that is unstable,I stop him. All of these dogs must have rock solid offleash obedience. A refind is no substitute for control To each his own with regard to the refind. I just do not care for it personally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page