This is just one of THOSE days - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

This is just one of THOSE days

So, the old guy, Grim has been through the mill
  • He knocked out all his upper front teeth in the spring of 2011 (I think)
  • He got an enlarged spleen in September (since resolved)
  • Neutered for an enlarged prostate in October
  • Broke his front toe in Nov (clean through)
  • And caught his rear foot in a fence and tore some skin last week.
All seemed wll but the foot got infected (it went from fine to swollen and oozy overnight!) and he is now on a serious course of antibiotics.

We are slated to take our NAPWDA re-cert Fri, Sat, Sun (the team is bringing in an evaluator and we don't bring in the one in Charleston, because we sometimes have mutual aid searches with her team so-best to go with one of the others.) -- otherwise you have to go to one of the few week-long seminars.

Team want all the dogs up on NAPWDA because of the variety of cadaver problems in that cert, and our team is requiring all the SAR dogs to cert through them in addition to our internal certs. (Actually Grim is certified through IPWDA-Advanced until the end of 2012)--the other consideration, too, was I was hoping to ceritfy Beau by the end of the year but two dogs/one seminar - it does not work that way. Two weeks at NAPWDA seminars, eeeeek!

Oy Veh! I am not sure I want to test him if he is not 100% as there is a higher risk of a failed cert if he is hurting and he has never failed a cert. The vet seems to think he will be much better but NOT 100% by Friday.

Well I can't get into photobucket from my work computer but I did take some pictures which I will save as well as documentation of the injury and then clearance when he goes back to the vet for recheck.

I am hoping to keep him going for awhile -- particularly for the detail work which can be more tedious and complex (actually all of our operational dogs are 8-9 right now, but 2, 2 year olds hope to ceritify this weekend, and Beau is in the wings for the Fall...the other 8/9 year old dogs went this Fall to a seminar when Grim was down with the neuter...Ack Ack Ack.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 01:07 PM
Crowned Member

My goodness this poor guy has really been through the mill...but I'm sure still eager to do his job!

How old is he?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Crowned Member

Jocoyn, don't know if this is accurate or not but I have heard that dogs on high antibiotics will have difficulty with scent work - up to two weeks after last treatment . Not the pain, but the destruction of beneficial bacteria in the nose.
Carmen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 01:59 PM
Crowned Member

Use of antibiotics have not been proven to have an effect on scenting ability so far to my knowledge
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

I am not really worried about scenting ability. Just if the dog is in pain. He never carried his foot up when he broke the toe on the other foot, just limped a little.

You know they want to work so bad they will work through it. I should document what she gave though; it was an injection, not oral with twice daily betadine soaks.

He will be 9 in August....this has just been his year for issues. He has had none until now.

I guess we have to play it by ear. Dogs are pretty good about masking pain and we will have high hides (where he usually walks on his back legs while pinpointing) and a rubble pile. She said for the water problem I would need to do a betadine scrub and soak right after.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 04:00 PM
Crowned Member

I have a ten year old lab still going strong. I use Young at Heart from www.k9power.com It has really made a difference in my older dogs and some friends dogs as well
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 04:11 PM
Knighted Member

I'm sorry for poor Grim. Hope he recovers quickly.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

This was the damage. Poor old guy - I know when he hurts because he wants to curl up on the sofa with me when he does. He is pretty stoic -- but he is sure hurting today.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime

Last edited by NancyJ; 01-17-2012 at 09:03 PM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 10:22 PM
Crowned Member

jocoyn are you spraying the injury with lanacain . This will help sooth and keep the area clean. That is nasty looking . hope he mends quickly and well
Carmen
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

No she has me doing twice daily with diluted betadine for 10 minutes. He has some tramadol which I am giving him

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page