Wisconsin coroner stole body part to train dog, police say - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Wisconsin coroner stole body part to train dog, police say

Fess up...which one of you was it?

Wisconsin coroner stole body part to train dog, police say - Yahoo! News

MILWAUKEE (Reuters) - The medical examiner for Oneida County in northern Wisconsin was released on a $5,000 signature bond on Thursday after she was arrested for allegedly stealing a human body part obtained from an autopsy to train her dog.

Traci England, 44, of Rhinelander, faces charges of misconduct in public office and theft, according to a news release from the Oneida County Sheriff's office.

England told investigators she kept part of a person's spine from an autopsy she performed on Tuesday so that she could train one of her dogs to search for human remains.

She was arrested on Wednesday after an investigation by the Forest and Oneida County sheriff's departments.

England's next appearance in Oneida County Circuit Court was set for January 30, where she is expected to face formal charges.

She is currently on administrative suspension and has been barred from possessing any human remains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Crowned Member

Wonder how they found out that she had taken it?
Thanks for sharing, and I have my idea who it might be.(insert wink)

karen, mom to:
ace-gsd (bi-color) 6/14/2010
mandy-yellow lab 1/31/2009
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 05:01 AM
Crowned Member

What a fool. Career down the tubes. No credibility on a witness stand after this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 05:08 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Yikes. That is scary stuff and another reason that legal ways to get access for legitimate use is necessary. There are enough people willing to donate body parts but no systematic way to legally do this most places.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 06:56 AM
Crowned Member

Sooooo.... Was she training in SAR or Schutzhund? But seriously, it had to be SAR right? Otherwise I'm picturing her playing tug with this spine.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 07:41 AM
Crowned Member

I know Nancy, BUT, there is not enough oversight on these civilian cadaver dog and SAR handlers. I see a lot of them and the majority need to do something else with their dogs. HR is right up there with possessing explosives and narcotics for training purposes. Just cannot allow folks to possess it without some controls.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 08:14 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

No argument there. You need a chain of custody, handling procedures, safety training, and clear understanding of regulations for transport and disposal.

I think a lot of the problem is simply budget. There is no need for most departments to have a dedicated cadaver dog but you need a highly mobile cadre of skilled professionals in the state and that should probably be paid full time positions who. Even though .

I like doing this as a volunteer, but I would not be fighting against something like that as a taxplayer, but I think you probably need a group of about 3-4 folks in a state our size to be able to scale up for a larger cadaver search - I have seen some cadaver searches with 7,8 people and dogs but those are usually planned enough in advance to call in mutual aid.

...but around here even funding positions for police on the street is hard

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 08:40 AM
Crowned Member

That is just so totally wrong. i realize that. But.....I am having such a hard time trying not to laugh. I'm sorry.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 12:16 AM
Master Member

"But seriously, it had to be SAR right? Otherwise I'm picturing her playing tug with this spine."

This is sending chills up my spine...On Wisconsin! : )
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 07:56 AM
Elite Member

So, if someone needed an amputation could they legally gain control of the separated body part to donate to SAR groups?
Can you put it in your will that at time of autopsy you would like x amount of bone to be removed and sent to SAR groups? (What do SAR groups most commonly use?)
How does a SAR group legally obtain these articles?

Just some thoughts...

-Cassie
Shenzi the GSD

Scruffy "To live in the hearts we leave behind is not to die.-Thomas Campbell"

Zira “To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.” -J.K Rowling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page