Sound sensitivity question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Sound sensitivity question

I've been interested in SAR for a long time. Read everything, "got lost" for several teams, etc... but things are lined up and I'm finally gonna pull the trigger... well, in about three months. I just had rotator cuff surgery.

So, I have a question about dogs. I'm gonna wait at least a year to get myself proficient before I think about handling a K9. I want to train a border collie, but I know they have a high rate of sound sensitivity. Is that something you can test as a pup or does it develop later? If so, would you be safer getting a older(1 y/o) rescue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Crowned Member

I have several friends with certified BCs around the Bryan and Dallas area. I have certified many for NNDDA. I can hook you up with them if you like. What you may have seen, are BCs who are soft/nervy and subsequently showed sound sensitivity. The ones I see used successfully are well bred herding stock not show stock.
And yes, I gunfire test all of my litters. you can also test this other ways. The nerve strength is something you must test for.

Also, understand that BCs are a little different. they will not take a heavy hand,but really do not need it. Very smart dogs as well.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Renee. It's good to hear the herding stock are usually solid. I have a BC mix but she's more mix than BC. She's very laid back and almost lazy. I will definitely take you up on your contact in the Dallas area when the time comes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Crowned Member

I've had not so good experiences with Border Collies, one personal and the other two from teammates. Those were agility lines BC, sadly the emphasis in the sport has made some dog pretty neurotic and thin nerved, on the other hand I've seen excellent BC in Europe from Italian and German teams. I'm sure the breed as a whole is pretty good in SAR and one I'd be willing to try myself again.

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Crowned Member

exactly. depends on the bloodline. The BCs from the UK are very nice and used extensively as explosive detector dogs. The conformation lines are something to steer clear of.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

I've read stuff about how "true" border collie stock breeders didn't/don't want the AKC acknowledgement because of the breed for show thing.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 10:12 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

The 2nd SAR dog I met was a BC from herding lines. He was an incredible dog with many real finds in searches. Once I hid in a tree and he climbed the tree to get to me.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page