Nalas Hunt Drive - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Nalas Hunt Drive

I know I was in the way but you can still see her search.
What you think? Not bad, huh?

Nala vom Kassler Kreuz - Hunt Drive - YouTube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

One of the things we do to test prospects is take them someplace completely strange then build to a throw with the dog put up but where they have to go through brush/debris to search. It is a great use of Kudzu but any old brushy area will do.

Don't see any problems but not enough of a test to tell much. It is enough to tell she is using her nose, not her eyes to hunt. I don't think the spinning her around does much though in this case because the yard is familiar to her and she has contextual visual cues to orient by.

This is Beau searching for a ball where I fake the throw then drop it so I could actually see him find it. Normally I just throw it way out in the field and he *has* to find it or I lose an $8 ball. But I I like having the dog go out of sight of the handler -- we have had some *not* do that and had to work on it. This is not a test. Just playing with a pup. You can barely see the ball in the grass, he grabs then drops it ready for the next throw. What you can see is him hit the brakes and work into it. And that TAIL. love that tail.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 11-23-2011 at 01:30 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Already done that at my friends place. Thorns, Brush etc. not a single problem. She searched for a good ten minutes, didn't give up at all. It wasn't a test, just a demonstration because I had my camera but completely forgot the chip so I couldn't record it.

Also tested her on a shaky bridge where we jumped up and down. Obstacles, shiny floor, metal grid, pretty much anything you can think off.

You can definitely see her drive though.

Last edited by Mrs.K; 11-23-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Excellent. Ten minutes is a good test.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Banned

It was amazing to watch, especially since she didn't use her eyes at all. Another interesting thing she does is to actually look up.
She is intense.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Crowned Member

both dogs very nice the hunt is something hard to explain to folks that have never seen it. The videos should help some folks

Beau's tail is not a tail, it is a flag.......LOLOL
I got it!!!!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Beau is an awesome little fella. Can't wait to see more of him in the future.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 09:14 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Nala will be way ahead of Mr Beau. She looks like a really nice dog. Watch YOUR shoulders with this one.

Beau is definitely still all puppy (18 weeks tomorrow). No accidents in the house, tons of ball drive and hunt drive and tug drive and the attention span of a gnat. No signs of any nerve issues. Loves to climb things -- like a little billy goat and loves to get into places too small for him to get into.

Took him to a playground and he is the first pup I have had since Linus in 1985 who delights in going up the ladder and down the slide just for fun. (Linus would take turns with my daughters) Grim is great with the up part and will do the down part if I ask but Beau just seems to have a whole lot of fun with everything he does which is with total abandon.

We just got in the front top 2 incisors and the gums are really big in the back so I guess I need to know the progression of teeth coming in. Today's victory was not having to fight him for my robe.

But yeah that tail. It is a long sucker too. and the giant ears.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Nala will be way ahead of Mr Beau. She looks like a really nice dog. Watch YOUR shoulders with this one.
Yeah, she's very very fast and sometimes she acts first and thinks second because her drive is going through with her. It's not mean or anything but you can hear her teeth clap right next to your shoulders or upper arm when she's going for the ball.

While Indra is much much further in training, Nala is ahead of her as well, if that is what you mean.

I do like Beau you can tell that he's very methodogical and concentrated. One thing I don't like about older dogs is that you didn't have any control over their training from the puppyhood on, like small crawling spaces etc.
I have not tried that yet but I doubt it'll be any issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page