Sasha meets the SAR team on Sunday - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Sasha meets the SAR team on Sunday

I'm not too worried about this yet because Sasha is only 5 1/2 months old. We start our CGC classes on November 22. I figure that the team will give her some time to mature before they and I decide whether she is a good SAR dog prospect. Otherwise, I'm sticking with the team. They are a great bunch of people. I'm looking forward to Sunday's training.

Sasha GSD 5/14/2011
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hans GSD mix? 10/20/2013
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 09:57 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Wonderful. Let us know how it goes!

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Wonderful. Let us know how it goes!
I will. I never imagined that I would get involved in this but I'm so excited about it and plan on sticking with it. Oh, the boots and the toys!!!!

Besides the toys, I understand living in Oklahoma, how important our job will be. I'm so glad I found this now. Even if Sasha doesn't work out, she was the catalyst for me finding a love that I always had anyway. It works. Thanks jocoyn.

Sasha GSD 5/14/2011

Hans GSD mix? 10/20/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 10:04 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

You've been bit by the bug. You are now infected.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
You've been bit by the bug. You are now infected.

Yes, I know. It's awful. I was talking with an investigator today who used to be a homicide detective. He was one of the first officer's on the scene for the Murrah bombing. He now does white collar and I'm lucky enough to work with him. He agrees that there is a bug involved with a GSD/SAR. He explained that at the time of the OKC bombing that there was not enough SAR dogs in the OKC area to deal with the bombing. I'm thinking that I'll do wilderness first and if Sasha works out than we'll try for Urban. I lived through the bombing, the May 3rd tornado. We have a lot of disasters here. There is a need for good SAR dogs and handlers.

Sasha GSD 5/14/2011

Hans GSD mix? 10/20/2013
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 10:53 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Most certainly. I wished I had been bitten by the bug when I was much younger but it was not so much around then...there were some but not many so those involved were ground breakers. I would definitely get involved in disaster were I much younger..but wilderness is what gets the calls day in day out.

....My reality check, at 57, is that cadaver work and IC work are probably good places to be going forward. (I got started about 12 years ago).

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Sasha's recall was AWFUL today. It was as if she had never learned to come to me. Egads!! I'm not sure if it was the 1 1/2 hour drive that threw her off or something else. Needless to say, I have a lot of work to do. However, at the beginning she was really good with the people and going to everyone that called her name but later in the day we tried some other training. After about 2 minutes she took off. I had to keep walking away from her until she finally came to me. Ugh. I'm hoping that it was just her age and feeling a little overwhelmed.

In the end, I realize that I need to up the training. I have a 15 ft lead but one of the guys suggested a 30 ft. Or, should I just do a lot more off leash. I don't do enough of it. (Apparently) I feel like going out to an isolated area and letting her run and play and not call her back to see how close she'll stay with me. She needs to see it as fun. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Sasha GSD 5/14/2011

Hans GSD mix? 10/20/2013
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I would back up and do the 30 foot line like suggested and just keep working on it..maybe even work with a trainer. Being able to work offlead is absolutely critical to a SAR dog. Anyway you cut it a reliable recall in all conditions is very important but no point asking for a recall if you can't reinforce it....It is a decent use of an ecollar but you try everything else first.

Even get a helper on the lead and have her pull them towards you when you recall that way you have control of the situation from longer distances.

Once you are relaible, If you can find places to walk offlead where you are clear there is no game or other dogs - safe places - without other distractions that would be good. You don't want running off to be fun for her. She will find wildlife and woe to you if she actually catches something. Sometimes dogs run deer and lose interest because they can't catch them (but they may catch the bumper of a car trying that trick; I know of several who have)

I do offlead walking with the pup every day or every other day so it is imprinted in his head now while the pack drive is very very high and are building that recall under distraction early. If you have a friend with a dog who is relaible offlead and that dog gets along with your dog that may help as the other dog will actually help train yours by coming when called etc.

No reason your dog can't earn all her food by coming when called as it sounds like the possible showstopper.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Words of Encouragement

I received some wonderful words of encouragement tonight from the team. I feel a lot better now. They are such good people. Anyway, I'll work on Sasha's recall and continue MY education. I think my portion of this journey might take the longest. For one thing, don't forget your 2-way at the car or forget to have extra cash around for toll roads.... I need to start making lists.

Sasha GSD 5/14/2011

Hans GSD mix? 10/20/2013
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Even get a helper on the lead and have her pull them towards you when you recall that way you have control of the situation from longer distances.

We did work on this today after her run away. It worked great. Your other suggestions, I'm printing so I can keep it with me. Thank you so much!!!!!

Sasha GSD 5/14/2011

Hans GSD mix? 10/20/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page