I'm meeting a local team tomorrow to be their lost person. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

I'm meeting a local team tomorrow to be their lost person.

I'm sort of excited about it. I never thought that I would be interested in SAR but it seems to fit my personality and Sasha fits with me. I'm not taking Sasha tomorrow. She's only 5 months old and this is a first meeting with our local SAR team. I hope I can fit with them. Wish me luck. From what I have read about them, they seem pretty awesome. I'm the "lost" person tomorrow. Yay!!

Sasha GSD 5/14/2011
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hans GSD mix? 10/20/2013
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 10:17 PM

Good luck!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia View Post
Good luck!
I hope they accept me. I have a very long way to go and I know this. I read earlier posts and know that I need to do the FEMA courses. I have them bookmarked. I can do a CPR course at my local vo-tech. But, in the end, it depends on the team and whether they think I can do it and we can work together. After this, I understand that it's up to Sasha too. Can she do it? She has drive. My goodness, she has the drive!!! So, it's focusing her and learning what I need to learn. We'll see. I have all the free time in the world to devote to this. I am ready to give it a try. I think we have what it takes and I'm willing to put in the time. I don't care about ego or blue ribbons. I want to help people. As a prosecutor, that's what I do anyway. It's an extension of what I've done for my entire professional career. Thanks for reading my rant.

Sasha GSD 5/14/2011

Hans GSD mix? 10/20/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 07:24 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Hope for sucess. It sounds like you are going into it with the right attitude which is 90% of the whole thing.

Your legal background alone gives you added value to any team. Knowing the antics of defense attorneys (cadaver dogs) will help you with helping the team later. But for now it is all about being someone they will feel comfortable will follow chain of command and follow direction as that seems to be the number one issue most folks have. And then the other way around......do you feel you can trust and follow them....as time goes by and you become a trusted member then of course you start mentoring new folks.

Drive is only one aspect of the puppy that may play in...when they do evaluate her I am sure they will have tons of suggestions on what to do to primer her up.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 07:33 AM
Master Member

Good luck!

I'm off to go meet the local ScH club myself this morning. Hopefully all goes well for both of us!

Rob

Princess Abigail "Abbie"
Kai (RIP)
Loki (RIP)

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

What great people!! They had wonderful advice and were so helpful!! Anyway, I'm going back next time with Sasha. They want to try some puppy stuff with her! As for me, I can tell that I have a lot of learning to do and I need some equipment even without Sasha right now. First off, a more comfortable pair of boots and a better compass might help. I sort of got lost.

Sasha GSD 5/14/2011

Hans GSD mix? 10/20/2013
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieBays View Post
What great people!! They had wonderful advice and were so helpful!! Anyway, I'm going back next time with Sasha. They want to try some puppy stuff with her! As for me, I can tell that I have a lot of learning to do and I need some equipment even without Sasha right now. First off, a more comfortable pair of boots and a better compass might help. I sort of got lost.
You werent lost, you were just adding to the realism.

Rob

Princess Abigail "Abbie"
Kai (RIP)
Loki (RIP)

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Crowned Member

And just in case she doesn't have the drive it will mean a lot if you such on the team anyway and helped out and learned the ropes. Good luck!

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 06:24 PM
Crowned Member

I would love to do that!! You've inspired me to check it out.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDElsa View Post
And just in case she doesn't have the drive it will mean a lot if you such on the team anyway and helped out and learned the ropes. Good luck!
I agree with you! The guy leading the group did SAR for 15 years prior to getting his first dog a few years ago. He's really good and knows his stuff! I am definitely keeping this up regardless! The team needs more people.

Sasha GSD 5/14/2011

Hans GSD mix? 10/20/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page