Had a really good day at training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Had a really good day at training

Grim's first chance to work blind unknown problems since the trip to the ER.

We had 4 areas to work (one yard, one yard with crawlspace, one section of stream and a different section of stream)

He nailed them all and no false indications - and I did not talk him into one in an area where he was getting scent but did not indicate. I even did not drop my phone into the stream (I realized I was walking down the middle of a stream with my cellphone unprotected in my pocket) and Grim met a cat dba "the jabberwocky"....cat was in a mass of roots and he ignored the mewing while working but went over to investigate on the way back with the ball in his mouth. Put his head on the stump and the cat came flying out and he lept backwards. Wasnt really rattled though just startled and got the message. The cat was fine with people afterwards. No Grim damages.

Also got a loaner small vari kennel for puppy and an almost free wire 42 inch wire crate from a teammate so I won't have to be buying any crates for Beau!

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 09:24 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Sounds like he did great!! It is always exciting when you realize they "get" it.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 09:30 PM

Awesome. Glad you had a good day!

Jamie

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Yeah, he has "had it" but started loosing his mojo some this summer....he was still maintaining good stats but his energy level just seemed down. ....

The neuter and slow shrinking of the prostate gland (which was making him constipated) seems to be helping and I am giving him turmeric now daily for inflammation (he does have some spondylosis but hs is also 8) ... the enlarged spleen.....we will recheck in 2 months......He does seem to be feeling better though.

We are hoping to be on target for his next NAPWDA recert this fall but they have changed the rules around a little but it should not be too bad....

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 09:38 AM
Crowned Member

We are hoping to be on target for his next NAPWDA recert this fall but they have changed the rules around a little but it should not be too bad....

what changed?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Crowned Member

Glad he's back at it!

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

They are requiring cadaver dogs pass the obedience test - so I need to brush up on our heeling. I do have good offlead control (and lack of control is why they required it) but not as precise as what is required for the test.

Also the training aids must be bone and soft tissue. half must be less than 3 months old. Honestly, I think that is a good change, more realistic though it may have the unintended consequence of smaller than bigger aids because of how hard it can be to get tissue and fresh bone.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Crowned Member

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 04:34 PM

good job!!

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 05:41 PM
Crowned Member

Where are you guys getting fresh BONE from? That does seem like it would be a huge challenge

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page