SAR Conference - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

SAR Conference

I can proudly say that Diabla is now officially a SAR dog. Some of you may remember we have been playing with the idea and doing some preparation since past year, and then she has been doing an intense internship at my TD house in Santiago since March. Chile has no official certifications, but with my team we did an intern test judged by SAR handlers from Mexico, Brazil and Panama and they deemed Diabla is ready t go to real searches. Of course it doesn't mean all the work is done, we still have a lot of homework to do and hopefully we will try the IRO test next year.

We hosted an international conference a week ago, consisting of three activities on different terrain, but I have pictures only of the snow ones.

Other dogs of the team

Auca, the dog I raised and started to train.

And from the litter I raised a year ago
Kobra... red collar

and Khloe... turquoise collar

Some landscape at the Andes mountains

Thanks for bearing so many pictures

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 02:33 AM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
Congratulations to you and Diabla!

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 02:34 AM

Congratulations! It is a great feeling to have a certified SAR dog

Ze'eva Li'ora - GSD 06/26/2010 [SAR/Wilderness Air Scent]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 04:25 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Many congratulations. Your last dog went to another handler, right? I remember that after a disaster and you could not get there because the roads were down. Are you training Diabla for another or will you get to keep her with you? Your dogs are owned by the team right? It has been awhile. I am trying to remember.

Send some of your snow to this continent. We are cooking.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 08-17-2011 at 06:49 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 08:54 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Congratulations on Diabla being a certified SAR dog! She looks great in her vest, and she looks so happy to be working!

The pictures are amazing. It is weird to see people and dogs working in the snow when we are in the middle of summer, but it is probably the same weirdness for you when you are in the middle of the summer, and we have nothing but snow pictures.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Just for clarification, Diabla is NOT certified, for the simple reason that Chile has no certification for SAR dogs, though we are on a crusade to have one soon. We have an internal test in my team and took the opportunity to be evaluated by a third party.

You are right Nancy, the dogs are of the team, specially those who are donated tho it, in the same way we don't accept dogs from applicants into the team, but there is room in the reglament for exceptions and Diabla is one of them, specially because as one of the team founders it is pretty clear where my loyalties are and it is not like after so many years I'm gonna bolt away taking the dog, and everybody work in it, with me. From the beggining, since we started to play with the idea of how to keep doing SAR from Valdivia it was clear the she is MY dog and will die from old age with me and only me. With Auca it was different from the beggining, I didn't bought her, she was doneted to the team, not to me, and I always raised, worked and even loved her with SAr in mind.

And Diabla... LOVES it. since she was a pup I complained how I had got a dog perfect for SAR just when I had to move. Everybody loved her intensity.

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 05:28 PM

This is awesome!! My husband and I want to get our little one started in the SAR program in West Virginia. We know that she is too young at the moment to actually start training. Any pointers or training tips/techniques with a 16 week old GSD?!

Christina
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

At 16 weeks make sure she is socialized to everything and everybody. You cannot oversocialize a SAR dog. I know some folks in W VA, What team are you getting involved with.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 08:03 PM

You can start training at around 4-5 months easily but have to take a lot of things easy and keep it fun. Check out the book "Search and Rescue Dogs: Training the K-9 Hero" by American Rescue Dog Association. Starting with short trail hikes, basic trailing exercises and possibly runaways you can get a good start on the training. I would recommend going air scent as most groups around the country are full on trailing dogs and are always in need of new air scent dogs... Not to mention air scent is a lot cooler and you can do a lot more with it

Ze'eva Li'ora - GSD 06/26/2010 [SAR/Wilderness Air Scent]
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
At 16 weeks make sure she is socialized to everything and everybody. You cannot oversocialize a SAR dog. I know some folks in W VA, What team are you getting involved with.
I'm not sure yet. I'm just doing the research before it's too late, and my husband is most likely going to be the active SAR handler. He is already a first responder and swiftwater certified. But if you have any team suggestions, let me know. And this puppy is socialized alll the time! We live in an apartment building with at least four other puppies, and she plays with the children, and we are actually expecting a baby this week!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page