Working dogs in the heat - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 02:42 PM

We just finished a tracking / trailing seminar. Ran 1500 to 2200 on Fri. Urban tracks run at 1630 and 1730 at 105 degrees, also rural tracks at 2030 and 2130 at 100 degrees. We had fans, lots of cool water, and reflector blankets for the vehicles, and Sat. we had the kiddie pool set up, Sun. we were near the lake. Sat. we went from 0830 to 2000 with a break at 1300 to 1700. Last morning session track was about 104, 105 degrees with a heat index of 120. Evening tracks were still around 100 degrees. Sun we went from 0830 to 1400.

All the dogs did well, yes they were hot, but no one got stressed, and all worked wonderfully and made large improvements through the weekend. Two of the dogs had cool vests for recovery, and they really did seem to help them. Some people say it doesn't make a difference in their dog, but the 2 GSDs that had them were in their crates not even panting, so I would say it helped for them. Everyone in a sense had pre-acclimated their dogs, but we haven't had temps quite like that yet, so it was still rough.

Anyway, they all got to see that their dogs can be very effective in the heat, and they learned how to keep their dogs comfortable in pretty extreme conditions. Everyone had fun and stayed safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 08:03 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

So they did not work in them or did they? I had head about the cooling but Beau, God Bless, thinks a water bowl in his crate is a tiny swimming pool and have managed to remove an ID tag from his collar (the clip was bent to pieces ) I can only imagine what he would do to one.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #43 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 11:30 AM

No, the dogs did not work in the coolvests. I think they might work ok for urban tracking, but they did NOT work well in the field for rural / wooded activities of any kind. Stuff got caught up under them, etc. It didn't seem to bother the movement of the dogs, but still, we decided they work better for recovery. We are going to try them for boat work. I think they will be fine for that as well. It gets so hot out there on the water, so we are hoping they will keep the dogs a little more comfortable. We are going to try that this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Report on how it goes. I have one of those aluminet dog vests someone sent me to try and I thought about that on the boat.......but I got him a harness (champion seat belt) and I was just going to use the harness on the boat. (But I could put the aluminet over the harness) I understand the phase change vests do float. Oh the aluminet has same problems in woods as you can imagine but it does get so hot on a boat.

Chillybuddy Cooling Vest

I think it was one of these.........going to dig it out.

Mostly we seem to wind up on the water in the early evening when they start pulling out the divers or in the morning before they dive which is real nice scentwise. .......... but sometimes it is mid-day. Ick.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #45 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 05:45 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I just bought a new wireless thermometer at Cabela's. It is a Lacrosse model 9009 wireless station. Only $9.99. I am impressed. It claims it will read a sensor 260 feet away. I put the send in my truck between two aluminum dog boxes. The truck is in the front of my house. My office is in the back in the walk-out basement. So the signal has to get through my dog boxes, truck and house....and it IS!

For SAR it is good if dog is in vehicle and you are at basecamp or someone is watching several dogs. Receiver fills palm of hand so a bit big to carry around but the size display is large; easy to read while driving if you carry a dog in the back of a vehicle like me.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #46 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 05:56 AM

Hahaha... when I started reading I had a vision of a "dog mounted" wireless thermometer LOL.

I think I've done too many dismounted patrols

David Winners

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET)
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert / Mobility SD (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
post #47 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 07:16 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Actually...now that you mention.....I just saw this this am but I am not sure I want a sensor in my dog. A passive microchip is one thing but RFID that is talking to another device? Nah. I carry a thermometer and watch my dog. Beau is pretty good about taking a break when he is hot.

http://blueforcedev.com/solutions/k9-platform/

Technology, Vigilance Save K9 and SAR Dogs From Heat Exhaustion, Heat Stroke or Death

Beau does NOT ride in an AC truck nor does he rest in the AC while working. He is outside during the summer though he does come in the evening and make a pest of himself in my office.....It is true, though, a lot of police dogs are in a running vehicle with AC going while they are not deployed. We constantly have to remind people not to park their vehicles next to ours because the hot exhaust gets sucked up by our fans. I will have to take some pictures of my set up today.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime

Last edited by NancyJ; 05-07-2014 at 07:21 AM.
post #48 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 07:48 AM

What will they think of next... and I was just goofing LOL

Imagine the toys we will be able to buy in 10 years Nancy.

I agree that acclimatization and cardiorespiratory fitness play a huge part in how well a dog handles the heat.

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET)
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert / Mobility SD (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
post #49 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 08:26 PM

It's not necessarily during working itself that I have an issue with heat, but the down time and time during training where each dog is in their own vehicle has me with some heat issues.
I'm currently in a 2 door car, so during these times Vader is all but roasting with just the windows down.
Any gadgets for keeping them cool when they're in the vehicles?
post #50 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 09:48 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

The folks I know with cars swear by ALUMINET........that and fans. Keep the air moving.

The whole heat issue is one reason I moved to a truck with a camper shell.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page