post #31 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 02:31 PM
Banned

Ah, missed that. Sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Crowned Member

Not SAR related but ...

Both officers in the video said, if they had allowed the dogs keep searching the dogs would have KEEP GOING.

I worry about that with our Lure Coursing. I have had to cancel some scheduled dates due to heat but even on days when it seems not so hot, I worry. We had our first incident of heat stroke a couple weeks ago and the dog, a little Rat Terrier mix, was still trying to drag his owner back into the field to run when I told her it was time to let him rest.

As she was walking him towards the kiddie pool we always have up he pulled and pulled towards the field (where the course is) - right up until the moment his eyes rolled back and he started seizing.

His temp was 106.8. Luckily we were able to get his temp down very quickly and he's no worse for the incident (I saw and ran him Sunday).

You CANNOT always rely on your dog to tell you when they've had enough - especially with a highly driven dog!

Thanks for posting the write-up, Renee!
post #33 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Dogs can also overheat swimming!!!! And you are right that a highly driven dog will go until they drop. You have to force rest breaks. I break my dog every 20-30 minute in the real heat for 5-10 minutes in the shade.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I think this is a good link! Talks about aerobic conditioning in the heat as opposed to anearobic....

Thinking forward with Beau. He did well on a recent warm day in the heat. I keep him outside but don't do enough aerobic because I figured well, too young for roadwork. Maybe not? No push this summer since he won't be operational until next summer but what do you think?

They also recommended the Go Dog Supplement and higher fat diet and had a reasonable (to me) excercise frequency. I am not going to jog but was thinking of buying a clunker bike soon for roadwork.

Beat the Heat - Bearded Collie Club of America

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #35 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 01:19 PM
Crowned Member

Does anybody know of a homemade electrolyte supplement that I could make for Aiden for hot training days? I can buy Pedialtye and put that in the water, but I was wondering about other options.

Whats an apporpriate Pedialyte to water ratio?

Feuergarten German Shepherds

post #36 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I know several who use the K9 Go Dog and am going to order some. That and start getting Beau used to getting "probed"

What they need for excercise replenishment in the heat is different than dehydration through water losses. Elite K9 also has a couple of products and I don't want to use something deveoped for humans (who loose a lot of electrolytes through sweatng) for dogs who don't. Too much in the way of eletrolytes could backifre.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #37 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 03:05 PM

Nancy, thanks for pulling this thread out...I hadn't seen it before. Lots of great information, even for those of us with just companion/pet dogs. Given the summer forecast, we may need a lot of this type of information going forward.
post #38 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 04:08 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

This weekend is supposed to be Brutal. Beau has been outside all day and it is about 95 out there with no signs of heat stress. (He is in the shade and has his pool available) He is chlling out, not running around but alert and not panting. We have team training tongiht and it will be around 90 when we get started.

As much as I hate having the him outside all day, I do think it really makes a difference in his heat tolerance.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #39 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 04:37 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Sadly 'working dogs' can't quit....
Though our training is not mandatory as a SAR or police K9 would be when needed in an urgent situation, we did cancel 2 weeks ago due to heat, but the heat hasn't let up so training went on the past 2 weekends. There is a Rottie in our group that I'm concerned with, more than the GSD's and Malinois. He pants and drools with gusto.
Would a Chilly Dog vest work ?
post #40 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

The reviews I have seen are that, for working, the added weight offsets the cooling effect while working but they are good for cooling off during down time. But there are lots of other ways you can cool the dog down while not working - As we speak my deep cycle battery is on the charger for tonight to make sure my fans have full juice for training and I will pick up a bag of ice (not to use ice water on a dog but to have some cool to mix with warm if needed) and we are training near a river....

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page