Working dogs in the heat - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Texas service dog dies from heat exhaustion while assisting deputies

Another one lost. We had a long hot search yesterday . We started at daybreak. Shut it down when it heated up and kept careful watch on the dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Crowned Member

Definitely adding a thermometer to my SAR pack!

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #23 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Good choice and get used to what is a normal working temp so you and your dog are used to it and you learn to read what your dog is like at what temperature. I know when mine *starts* to get overheated there is a change in the sound of his panting.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

This heat is brutal. I also use Go Doggy from www.k9power.com and water my dogs with Pedialite when they are working.
post #25 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 02:57 AM
Banned

I am glad we don't have that excruciating heat over here, even the humidity is not all that bad but even in the low 80's it can be dangerous. I guess we just have to get our butts up in the early morning and work when it's still cool and before the heat kicks in or make a lot of breaks and have a lot of water with us.

By the way, the heat is not only dangerous for the dogs, we, ourselves, should make sure that we stay hydrated and take minerals to us.
post #26 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 04:34 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

It was in the 90s all day yesterday and we were out in it---temp in truck ranged from 90 to 94 all day. Hydration is critical the whole way around. I would LOVE a day in the low 80s.

Today I am wiped out but the dog bounced out of the truck yesterday evening [we were in the heat from 9am to 6pm ready to go - pretty good for an 8 year old. ]

FANS FANS FANS - that is the main thing to me is keeping the air moving when he is in the truck. And lots of short water breaks when he is out. Always carry water. I am laying in some godog for next year. I have always been doubting on that stuff but I think it is more about metabolic correction (acid/base balance) than electroyltes for dogs.

For me - dried apricots and some nuts along with the water usually go well. Potassium is usually a bigger issue that sodium. Not so fond of the sugar laced stuff....but they are coming out with better human drinks as well I think.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 08-14-2011 at 04:53 AM.
post #27 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

The reason I am so high on Go Doggy is that I have really seen it work. Pre hydrate and my dogs are just not really thirsty when shut down for a break.

miserable weather.
post #28 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

A teammate has a large tub and gave me some the other day and he slurped it right up (I did not have it yesterday). He normally does not want to pre-hydrate with just plain wwater - with the way the summer still is, I may order one ...... not that expensive. Kind of hard to get to mix good (kind of like protein powder) - maybe I am doing something wrong.

I carry water and don't let him drink from the streams (some dogs have picked up giardia plus you don't know what is in some of the water....plus the ranker it is the more he wants to drink it.......tough call.......there is scent tasting but you can see the difference.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #29 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 10:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylaw203 View Post
The reason I am so high on Go Doggy is that I have really seen it work. Pre hydrate and my dogs are just not really thirsty when shut down for a break.

miserable weather.
What do you mean by Go Doggy?
post #30 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
What do you mean by Go Doggy?
Ms Ladylaw posted a link. You can visit that link and read about it.

DFrost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page